Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
repurposing fabrics, do you do it? >

repurposing fabrics, do you do it?

repurposing fabrics, do you do it?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 PM

I haven't yet, but I acquired a nice gathered skirt from a friend. It's a bright apple print, probably cotton/poly blend, that I plan to make a few "jar blocks" for a table runner.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 PM

went out to the thrift stores again, found a ton of fabric this time. (I love sharing) It came to 9.00 plus change, assortment of couple pieces of clothing, bed sheet, pillowcase, pillow panels, Christmas panels, yardage, felt, and even found a pair of pj's for me hehe. It is amazing that I never thought to look in the thrift stores before.

Barbm I sent you a pm regarding the house panels.

fabric stack 1 (and yes that is a wooden spool of thread, it was in one of the fabric grab bags, along with little suction cups too)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268157[/ATTACH]

fabric stack 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268158[/ATTACH]

oh yeah and envelopes too!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268159[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268104.jpe   attachment-268105.jpe   attachment-268106.jpe  
Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I've done it. I do buy sheet sets on clearance from Target or places I see them too. I've been known to buy cotton table-cloths after holidays and use them too.
I use sheets a lot. We don't sleep with a top sheet so all of them end up in my stash! I hadn't thought of the table cloth idea! Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:55 PM

we don't sleep with the top sheet either. (thought we were the only ones LOL)
Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 AM

Very creative you guys. Don't we just amaze ourselves sometimes!!! :-) love it love it
Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 AM

Now here's a thread after my own frugal, repurposing heart!

I have my thrift store route in town....mostly Goodwill. :)

I also check the curb of my neighbors on trash night or morning. Found a large piece of heavy, med. blue denim that became 12-14 medium sized tote bags & matching purses. A king sized brown stripe Ralph Lauren sheet set which became a LOT of strips of yarn for crocheted rugs. Those was a bit stained & had a few holes (washed them twice in clorox/soap), but RL makes good fabric!

Any large (or smaller) "body" of heavy cotton fabric - whether it be tablecloths, curtains, slipcovers, shower curtains place mats, bed skirts can be converted into tote bags, purses, pillow, zafus, placemats, coasters, mug mats, cat mats, sachets, etc....When I reuse fabric for a quilt back I don't think of it as becoming an heirloom. It could depending on how it's cared for, but that goes for any quilt.

The attached pix are little sachets made from a crocheted pillow that my BF brought home from a church yard sale - some of the stitching had come apart & I couldn't bear to throw it away. The pillow fabric is also repurposed. The buckwheat hulls & lavender buds are new.

So much repurposing to do ...so little time!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268158.jpe   attachment-268159.jpe  
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 AM

Hey I thought that was the only way to make quilts. LOL I've always used sheets for the backing a lot less expensive to do that. The only thing that I might buy is a complimentary fabric and the black and white. Jeans, shirts old dresses, slacks what ever works. When I use new fabric for quilts is when someone else is buying it and they want me to make them a quilt. I did that for my cousin and when he came to get his quilt he seen my scrappy quilt and fell in love with it and said that was the kind of quilts he remember. Well now I have 2 cousins who want this scrappy quilt so guess I'd better get busy and get a bunch made. It was from a quilt that I seen on here and I added to it. I also did it in a quilt as you go method.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268243.jpe  
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Beautiful...I LOVE the black lattice work!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:45 AM

Thank You very much I want to put another small black around the whole thing and then put on a red border.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Here's a post about using decorator fabric sample books: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158818-1.htm
I bought two of those today, for .25 each. Gorgeous fabric! I know my husband wondered why, but he also knows that my mind works in mysterious ways, lol. Our garage is full of some very odd things...teeth, bones, feathers, tree bits and pieces, beads, pearls, .....fabric is pretty normal, lol.
Here's what I have made from these. Someone sent me the squares already cut from what were obviously fabric samples. I added all the sashings, cornerstones and borders from recycled fabrics purchased at the used clothing stores around here. They are former curtains or sheets.

All of these are charity quilts and I'm pleased with every single one of them. They wash and wear extremely well. (I known because I'd given one away previously to someone who washed her quilt almost weekly and it was going great after a year... and that's a lot of washings!)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268266.jpe   attachment-268267.jpe   attachment-268268.jpe   attachment-268269.jpe   attachment-268270.jpe  

attachment-268274.jpe