Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Repurposing!

Somebody posted a gorgeous crazy quilt and I have just filled bag after bag of clothes for Goodwill or Salvation Army. There were fabulous fabrics in those bags. BUT I am moving and don't really need to drag more stuff with me. EXCEPT now I am retired and won't be going out to buy really neat fabrics for the crazy quilt in my future! What shall I do?!!!

Blog Entries
    With the price of fabrics these days? I think you will be kicking yourself if you don't keep the fabulous fabrics.

I would be selective and keep only the clothes that I think would be useful for quilting. Good luck with your move.

Pat

Blog Entries
    Cut off the buttons....then you have a stash of buttons. Then cut up the really pretty fabric from the clothes and you will have a little bit for your crazy quilts. And donate the rest. ;)

Oh dear! You really mean it, don't you! Red silk and all!

Blog Entries
    I'd have to take it along. Then, after you are moved, you can go through it when you have more time to think quilting rather than moving.and select what you really would like to keep.

SAVE the quilting fabrics. Donate the rest. If you can't make a decision on something, donate it. I have almost a whole shelf of saved thrift store shirt material. I also was able to donate a ton of unwanted clothing. Somewhere you need to draw the line. Either that or take it all or donate it all. Go in with NO regrets about your decision, but don't try to re-think the decision you make. You can also add some cash if you have guilt pangs, but you will never be able to reclaim that which you have donated.

Blog Entries
    I would keep anything that is cotton, get rid of the rest.

If you take the time to turn the clothes into fabric by cutting then into useable pieces, you will cut down the bulk and get it to fit in a nice sized box.

I cut up a pile of jeans and flannel shirts I had been collecting and reduced the bulk by probably 70%. Everything lies nice and flat and fit into 1 box (it has been crammed in 4!).

Quote Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    If you take the time to turn the clothes into fabric by cutting then into useable pieces, you will cut down the bulk and get it to fit in a nice sized box.

I cut up a pile of jeans and flannel shirts I had been collecting and reduced the bulk by probably 70%. Everything lies nice and flat and fit into 1 box (it has been crammed in 4!).
    This is what I do....donate anything you won't be using...that way everyone wins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast