Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Request to teach - suggestions please >

Request to teach - suggestions please

Request to teach - suggestions please

Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 AM

For a no clue class:

definitions
grain of fabric
difference between ironing and pressing and how you do this (I had someone actually use 5/8" seam and press open) in an intermediate class
different ways to accomplish the dreaded 1/4" or scant
How to use a rotary cutter safely! OMG some individuals will scare the h*** out of you! (always have them buy the stickies for the back of the rulers)
How to use a ruler properly (I know this sounds basic, but the lining up and how different ruler manuf. measure differently)
Starching vs. not starching
The proper thread to use! I had someone actually using hand quilting thread in a machine :shock:

Start with a basic square block. 4P or 9P. To teach kissing seams. :-) Maybe have them make them a little larger and then transform into D4P or D9P.

If at all possible make sure they bring their own machine to use. There will be many applications that they will want to write down the settings for their particular machine.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 AM

My ideas have to do more with supplies. The other things worked themselves out with time and practice.

Please have them get a 1/4" and walking foot. I was so angry to struggle to get my first quilt quilted just to learn there was a foot available to help make it easier.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 AM

To be perfectly honest, I have never made a quilt. Wanting to learn is one of the reasons I have joined these boards. To read and pick brains when I finally make the first step.

However, what is the first step? I know I need a mat, a rotary cutter, but what kind of mat, what kind of rotary cutter. What else do I need? I know how to work my sewing machine, but there might be folks that attend that do not. However, if you begin with learning the machine, some may get extremely bored. So you would have to find out where each comfort zone is for each person. What they know and what they do not.

I have checked into the classes they have at JoAnn's and a couple of other places. But they do not tell you what supplies you will need. Ah ha, of course it is so you would need to purchase those items from them ?? Not sure if that is the case, but it would seem so. I like to shop around, and get the best bang for my $$. So I guess one of the first things every student should know is the supplies that are needed for the first class.

Also, I am rather picky about fabric. My daughter says I like too much foral? But I like it!! So I would say even give them a list of what type of fabric to bring along, and how much. I want your knowledge, not your supplies. I want to leave at the end of each class feeling I have come one step closer to making that quilt.

I guess the only other thing I could add would be, keep your classes rather small. So you have time to spend with each person, and answer all their questions. There will probably be lots of questions.

Good luck and I wish you success in your new venture. I think you will have alot of folks interested.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
For a no clue class:

definitions
grain of fabric
difference between ironing and pressing and how you do this (I had someone actually use 5/8" seam and press open) in an intermediate class
How to use a rotary cutter safely! OMG some individuals will scare the h*** out of you! (always have them buy the stickies for the back of the rulers)
How to use a ruler properly (I know this sounds basic, but the lining up and how different ruler manuf. measure differently)
The proper thread to use! I had someone actually using hand quilting thread in a machine :shock:

Start with a basic square block. 4P or 9P. To teach kissing seams. :-) Maybe have them make them a little larger and then transform into D4P or D9P.

If at all possible make sure they bring their own machine to use. There will be many applications that they will want to write down the settings for their particular machine.
This is the perfect example for the newbie. I have no idea what 1/2 of the things she is talking about are. But ... I am sure it is all important. Like what in the world is 4P or 9P. : ) Oh and I just learned yesterday how important the grain of the fabric is, and that if you get it wrong your squares will come out wrong. I just figured you cut and sew. I have never used a rotary cutter, you mean there is a right and wrong way? I thought it looked pretty simple.

These are all things the "never have quilted before" student will be needing to know.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:25 AM

something very simple. If they are at very beginning, why not doll quilt? the 9/or whatever block?

I am still learning the how tos on the blocks, and binding and such....
Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 AM

As a 4-H leader, the classes I teach are usually with 10 year olds. I do offer classes for families, and the mothers/fathers are just as much in the dark as the kids are. So when someone says they know nothing - believe them, that they know NOTHING.

My classes begin with an orientation of basic sewing supplies. Because they are totally green, safety is high on the teaching scale. (Do you always know where your needle is?) Each machine has it's own sewing and repair kit, so the student needs nothing for the class. We cover the things they might want to buy for their own sewing box. Then, I present an introduction to different fabrics. The second hour we begin with the sewing machine. It's getting easier with a good collection of vintage machines. They're pretty simple, nothing to fiddle with, just learn how to thread and wind bobbins.

For the first class, I provide the fabric. They start with a strip, which they cut (scissors) into 4 pieces. They sew back and forth, up and down until their strip is filled.
The nest piece, they sew curvy lines, and make circles, boxes, and Christmas tree designs, then they layer the last two and do the same thing with double layers. By that time (15 minutes) they are comfortable with the machines.

Then, I pull out a pre-cut kit for each of them. It is a simple turned pot holder. I provide a hand out of everything covered, and a hand out for the next session. They get to choose their own fabric, or get one of my kits. Class two is a set of place mats, again, turned, rather than bound. After the class, we discuss where to go next. Strip lap quilts usually win. (OK I lead a little.) I have a mismatch batch of loaner machines if they want to work at home. This one is finished with a binding. After those 4 weeks, they choose their track of more quilting, or garment construction. For rotary cutting, I insist they buy their own gloves, and have one-on one instruction. So far, knock on wood - all has gone well.

This is a 4-H program, so I don't charge. However, I collect fair value for cost of supplies have a tip jar available. Parents often consider it an instructional sitting service.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
For a no clue class:

definitions
grain of fabric

This is the perfect example for the newbie. I have no idea what 1/2 of the things she is talking about are. But ... I am sure it is all important. Like what in the world is 4P or 9P. : ) Oh and I just learned yesterday how important the grain of the fabric is, and that if you get it wrong your squares will come out wrong. I just figured you cut and sew. I have never used a rotary cutter, you mean there is a right and wrong way? I thought it looked pretty simple.

These are all things the "never have quilted before" student will be needing to know.
I really appreciate your feedback. Understanding what a true newbie doesn't know/does know helps me out so much. I remember not knowing and being shown the ropes so to speak. So much of it is second nature now we tend to forget how it was in the very beginning. I remember thinking that 'quilting' was another language!
Oh, and a 4P is a 4 patch block and a 9P is a nine patch block. If you put either of those in the search feature above it will take you to examples.
:)
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 AM

Contact your LQS and see if they need anyone to teach basic quilting. Perhaps you can work out something with them. It would be good advertising for them and it would give you a legitimate place to teach. If not there, then try Michael's or A.C. Moore - they do classes.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 AM

After reading the above posts, and after having taken a wonderful "My First Quilt" class only 2 1/2 years ago, I thought I'd chime in -- what was so very helpful to me was 1. a detailed list of needed supplies and 2. a set of very detailed written instructions. As the class was held at my LQS, the supply list was provided when we registered for the class with a discount offered for any supplies purchased at the shop. However, we were free to purchase the supplies wherever we chose. (As I wasn't sure if I'd continue quilting beyond the class, I wanted the flexibility to purchase where I could get the best prices, later learning that often the supplies at the LQS are of a higher quality than what I found at Walmart, Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, etc.). The detailed instructions were handed out during the first class session. They contained very basic details, such as how to hold up the fabric with the selvages together in order to square it up prior to making the first cut, how to use the rulers to square up the fabric, how to miter corners when creating binding, etc. It had room for notations (of which I made plenty) and included some simple drawings (i.e.what a mitered corner looks like). I find that if I don't quilt for a while, I can pull out those instructions to remind myself what a particular term means or how to follow a basic procedure that many patterns don't explain. Having a couple of ironing boards and irons certainly helps as does plenty of space for cutting as well as sewing space. If you can determine in advance what exactly the skill level (or lack thereof!) of each person taking the class will be, then you can know how basic your beginning session needs to be. Be prepared for some questions that will just floor you because you'll think that EVERYONE should know the answer. Build in time to help someone rip out something and bring with you patience in explaining what the problem was and how to fix it and avoid it in the future. Good luck to you!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:09 AM

You might consider teaching how to relax in a room full of people who are cutting and sewing with great success. One of the most difficult obstacles to overcome, for me, was to go at my own pace without being intimidated by the progress of other participants. (for what it is worth..)