Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Resale, complicated? >

Resale, complicated?

Resale, complicated?

Old 04-03-2015, 07:00 AM

And I thought also as long as you don't claim credit for the design.....?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:18 AM

In their attempt to protect their sales, the designers are killing their market. I know I don't buy patterns anymore because I don't want the hassle of all the laws that may or may not apply. On the up side, a lot of us who never dreamed we could be designers ourselves are designing our own quilts.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 AM

There are blocks and patterns that are so old that they are public domain. If I were to sell a quilt, I would use these because they are not copyrighted any longer. No worries then.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:16 AM

The copyright is for the partern. The author can not dictate what you do with your quilt. That's your creation and yours to do with what you want. That is my understanding.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

There seems to be a lot of conflict on this subject. I read an article by a copyright lawyer that contridicted the information that was printed on the board a few years ago and he followed it up with a court ruling on the subject. I am still confused on the subject.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM

It looks like some designers are so full of themselves - they love something, so you should, too. You should make everything to their specs and their vision. They invented it, and you need to bow to the creativity of the designer.

They can stick that ___________ ( you fill in the blank.)

Why do we quilt? We also love creating, fabric and technique, but it seems that most of us change it so the end results are "our" vision, rather than strictly the designer's.

There seems to be more outcry in the tech field. A developer makes an app, then "improves" it and most people hate the improvement which seems to shock the original developer. We can, however, delete the app.

You would have to give yourself enough leeway to change the pattern for a similar one that is not so restrictive.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:01 PM

What happens when I die, and my husband sells my stuff at a garage sale??? Can he sell my patterns I paid for?
Old 04-04-2015, 05:29 AM

I agree with everything said I think quilting has turned into big business and the fun days of groups and working together and be able to exchange patterns and fabric has ended I use to subscribe to all magazines but they got so copyrighted hat I quit them and I know longer buy patterns anymore for that reason I read on one pattern that you could not make more than 3 quilts off that pattern so why in the world would I buy it I just use free patterns and forget all this hassel with the designers I have not even been to a quilt show in ages as I find they are mostly micro wave quilting everything is about copyright an speed so where has quilting gone that was once a fun relaxing hobby and a time of fellowship and sharing but our whole world has changed Happy Easter to all
Old 04-10-2015, 04:58 AM

I always thought & still do think that the only thing protected is their actual written pattern & illustrations that they wrote up & created. You can't copy their actual pattern, package it & sell it. That is understandable but as far as the quilt you make from that pattern it is yours to do with what you want. That's just my opinion. I legally don't know that to be true. I quit buying magazines about a year ago because of all the rules