Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Resale, complicated? >

Resale, complicated?

Resale, complicated?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 AM

Default Resale, complicated?

I have read on another site that some copyright owners of patterns forbid the sale of items made from their patterns. I feel as though I paid for the pattern and I own a copy of it. -- If obvious changes have been made to the design/pattern, does it still apply? there seems to be a rather large GRAY area here ----A raffle or charity auction, etc? Seems a bit unfair to me, I assumed most patterns are public domain -- especially the older ones. And due to the fact the materials were paid for by the maker, it seems a bit unfair to restrict what you can do with it....What's your take?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree with you. It use to mean to me at least that a major manufacturer could NOT use the pattern to make a zillion quilts from or even fabrics now but the noose seems to be getting tighter. Why in the world did I pay $8 to $12 for?? is it going to come to a one time use of the pattern??
Old 04-01-2015, 09:27 AM

Copyright infringement has been discussed here several times. Each has their own opinion and then there is the law.

Edited to add: I shouldn't admit this, but I can recreate a lot of patterns using EQ or graph paper....most quilters can. I make changes to them so that I am not using a direct copy of the pattern so that I am not guilty of copyright infringement. Very often I find that the block that is the center core of the pattern is in public domain. Am I breaking the law because I start with their idea but don't end up with it? Who knows? Hope not. I understand not mass producing a pattern, but making one and raffling it, or if someone falls in love with it, letting them reimburse you for your time and expenses should be okay.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-01-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

too many free patterns out there in cyberspace for me to pay for others.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 AM

I can understand if you see a finished project and can recognize it right away, & say "oh, that's a pattern by sew-'n-sew", but I think this is becoming downright ridiculous...
Old 04-01-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Copyright infringement has been discussed here several times. Each has their own opinion and then there is the law.

Edited to add: I shouldn't admit this, but I can recreate a lot of patterns using EQ or graph paper....most quilters can. I make changes to them so that I am not using a direct copy of the pattern so that I am not guilty of copyright infringement. Very often I find that the block that is the center core of the pattern is in public domain. Am I breaking the law because I start with their idea but don't end up with it? Who knows? Hope not. I understand not mass producing a pattern, but making one and raffling it, or if someone falls in love with it, letting them reimburse you for your time and expenses should be okay.
I'm with you there! I hope not either!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Designers can attach any rule to their designs but rules are not laws. Only the copyright law will apply. Funny the rules are always next to the copyright law on the pattern. That is to fool you to think it is part of the copyright. Next door neighbor is an attorney who's firm has a publication company as a client. He gets homemade pie, I get questions answered. LOL
Old 04-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

so many patterns are just re-makes. I'll see a log cabin done in red and greens and they call it watermelon delight and are considered the "designer". Why are they the designer?? it's alog cabin. I see this all the time. Unless it's completely new or an applique that they drew themselves, how could they be the designer of the quilt. I don't understand it.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I agree with you. It use to mean to me at least that a major manufacturer could NOT use the pattern to make a zillion quilts from or even fabrics now but the noose seems to be getting tighter. Why in the world did I pay $8 to $12 for?? is it going to come to a one time use of the pattern??
I'm wondering if the noose will stop tightening -- i guess i will have to rely on my own design skills....
I'm afraid to ask does any pattern maker forbid the resale of their pattern??? if the answer is not yet, I think that day is coming, too. There are lots of CDs from the sewing machine makers that aren't allowed to be resold....what next?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Designers can attach any rule to their designs but rules are not laws. Only the copyright law will apply. Funny the rules are always next to the copyright law on the pattern. That is to fool you to think it is part of the copyright. Next door neighbor is an attorney who's firm has a publication company as a client. He gets homemade pie, I get questions answered. LOL
that's interesting --thanks for sharing that!