Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: researching new quilting/sewing machine

researching new quilting/sewing machine

Hi all, I am new to quilting and am addicted! I have sewn for many, MANY years, and recently took several quilting classes. I own a Brother Pacesetter PC8500...very nice machine, but mainly an embroidering/sewing machine. I'm researching new machines....more quilting/sewing type machines. Have looked at Janome and Brother machines....leaning toward another Brother....love mine and find it very user friendly. I'm looking at the following Brother machines....any input pro/con would be appreciated! Brother NX450Q, NX800 Innov is Laura Ashley, PC420PRW, and QC1000. Price range...I don't want to spend more than $1500, plan to trade in PC8500.
    thanks!

IMHO, keep your PC8500. You may want to use the embroidery function to create labels or to add that little something extra to a quilt, and if it is also a sewing machine, you will have something to use if your new machine has to go in for some TLC.

My first choice for a machine is always a Bernina. Many will not use anything but a Janome. Juki and Baby Lock also make nice machines. If you can wait until the Quilt Festival in November, you will be able to test drive a lot of machines, many of which will be on sale. I don't know what dealers are in Magnolia, but I do know Quilters Quarters in Conroe carries machines.

For $1,500, you should be able to get a nice machine. My suggestion is to always go with a dealer, because you can test drive the machines and a dealer will be able to do repairs and have accessories (additional feet, bobbins, etc.) on hand.

Husqvarna Viking Ruby Delux or Diamond delux. Both embroidery and able to FMQ.

My only suggestion is to keep your machine and not trade it in. You will need a back up machine.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    IMHO, keep your PC8500. You may want to use the embroidery function to create labels or to add that little something extra to a quilt, and if it is also a sewing machine, you will have something to use if your new machine has to go in for some TLC....
    I agree. i have an 8500 and it works very well. i'd miss it if i didn't have it for the few projects and all the quilt labels i make. imho, you won't get the trade in value that it's worth.
    Nancy in western NY

Keep the old machine! I just bought a Brother Dreamweaver XE which is a combo. I had a Brother SE400. If I had the right table size I would have both machines up, using the SE for piecing and the XE for embroidery and quilting.

I had the babylock espire(QC-1000) before I got dreamy and I loved my baby, she FMQ nice, pieced lovely
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D