Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retail quilts >

Retail quilts

Retail quilts

Old 07-08-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
regardless of how they are made, they arent made with blood, sweat and tears, and not to mention love that quilters put into their quilts. I think that is what makes the homemade ones different from the store bought ones... Most everything we make can be bought, and for a lot cheaper, but that isnt the point. we make things for our friends and loved ones (and sometimes as give aways to someone who needs it) because it means something more when it comes from our hands. :)
If made by "slave laborers" - the quilts probably are made with "blood, sweat, and tears"
But not with joy and that is what really counts.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM

I bought one a last year for my guest bedroom. One washing later, the seams are all coming undone. whoever made it used 1/8" seam instead of 1/4".
However, you know the old saying...."You get what you paid for."
Needless to say, I am making a queen size quilt for the guest bedroom.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I don't think the quality is there and after a few washings it will either wad up or start falling apart. I know that is what happened when I have bought these in the past. They look great for a while (few washings) then they look worn and start falling apart.
I agree with this statement. My Mother has purchased these quilts for herself and as gifts. All before I started quilting 10 years ago. They all looked nice for quite a while even after washing. Now EVERY single one of them is falling apart. They are coming unraveled at the seams. One was a gift for my Father who has passed away. It is really in bad shape. She wanted me to repair it for her since it was sentimental. I couldn't do it. Too far damaged. I won't be buying one any time soon.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Only a quilter realizes the difference a appreciates the work...
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM

Someone gave me one as a gift thinking I would love it. The seam allowances were non -existant, and the quilting was like basting. It started coming apoart in the first wash.
On the other hand I bought a whole cloth quilt ( solid fabric quilted ). The quilting was done by machine and no more than 3/4 inch apart in any place .... it has been washed and washed and is my summer cover on my bed. In the winter its a great companion quilt for one of my quilts.