Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Retayne?

I have been looking for this. I went to the sewing part of Joannes and saw lots of chemicals, but not this product. Where do you all find it?

Is there a natural way to make this product, or something that works like it?

I buy mine at a LQS or online. Lots of places online carry it: Amazon carries it, and so does Create4Less, Nancy's Notions, Connecting Threads etc.... even Joann's online carries it. Just do a search and find the best price.

As far as natural, in the past I did use vinegar and salt but ran into trouble a few times where it didn't work and ruined the gift (long before Color Catchers)..... Nowadays most people use Color Catchers. I've also used OxyClean to remove color after it bled and it has worked). You can Color Catchers and OxyClean in most stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
    I buy mine at a LQS or online. Lots of places online carry it: Amazon carries it, and so does Create4Less, Nancy's Notions, Connecting Threads etc.... even Joann's online carries it. Just do a search and find the best price.

As far as natural, in the past I did use vinegar and salt but ran into trouble a few times where it didn't work and ruined the gift (long before Color Catchers)..... Nowadays most people use Color Catchers. I've also used OxyClean to remove color after it bled and it has worked). You can Color Catchers and OxyClean in most stores.
    You should know that Color Catchers and OxyClean do not set the dye like Retayne, they just keep the excess dye from going where you don't want it.

I purchase online or in LQS. Use prior to cutting the fabric. It is well worth the investment...especially batiks!

Yes, I'm aware that Oxyclean and Color Catchers only remove excess color that could bleed. And, I still Retayne all of my suspect colors (did 3 colors about 6 this morning). I only use Oxyclean when a wet darker color fabric has bled into a lighter color.... it removes the color from the lighter. Oxyclean actually removed a 3 day old dried (grape juice) stain from my GGS's clothes. And as far as Color Catchers go, Iíve only used CCs with store bought clothing and it works. Iíve never used it with quilts or quilt fabric.

dharma trading company