Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retreat gifts >

Retreat gifts

Retreat gifts

Old 06-20-2015, 06:10 AM

Does anyone know where I can purchase those folding scissors???
Old 06-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
Does anyone know where I can purchase those folding scissors???
If you google "folding scissors" or "folding sewing scissors" - several things come up.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Do the stores in Canada start to have school supply sales in August? In Minnesota, the WalMart stores start to have school supplies at greatly reduced prices - it might be another place to start looking around.

Some things to consider: 6 inch rulers, glue - Elmer's and stick glue, pencils, markers, plastic protector sheets
Old 06-20-2015, 07:22 AM

Metal Turkey lacers can be made into lovely stilettos with added glass beads. I was gifted a fancy one with dichroic glass beads from JoAnn's. Tea Wallets (tea bag holders and sugar and powdered lemon packets) and credit/store card wallets are made with less than 10" pieces of fabric. I make them with lightweight fusible to add body and fusible Velcro instead of buttons. There are many ideas on Pinterest with links to free patterns. Small snap top containers in the office supply section of the dollar store are great for bobbin holders. Threaders are always handy. How about a raffle ticket in each participant's package for a set of FQ's or other goodies? I've gone to retreats where folks can bring a FQ or unwanted quilty items like a book or UFO and they are raffled off.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:51 AM

How about some hot pads cut out and everyone can sew themselves--to save you time. I burn mine up so I go through a lot of pot holders!!
Mariah
Old 06-20-2015, 08:41 AM

I made myself an index card holder. Yes, I did make notes and use post- its but kept forgetting them when I left the house! My finished one is 3 1/2" x 5 1/4" and is filled with 3" x 5" plain index cards. It has a fold-over flap which is included in the finished measurements above and it is closed with a strip of velcro on the underside of the flap edge and a corresponding strip on the holder itself. And I secured the velcro with my BFF, Alene's "OK TO SEW IT". So what do I use it for? One card has a list of books that I hear about and want to check out or purchase from tbe book store or library because, otherwise when I get there I draw a complete blank! One has strictly patterns I want to look at. One has email addresses of people I meet at the LQS. One has addresses of people I occasionly send cards to and can never remember their zip codes so I can just address it and drop it in the mail on my way home ( otherwise it never gets sent!). One is for grocery items I ran out of. One is for yarn I need for a new project...........well, you get the idea.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:45 AM

If you have a Dollar Tree near you....some things come in packs...more for your $1! Post it notes, pens, treats, hand sanitizer....
Old 06-20-2015, 09:58 AM

Monroe - Thanks all good ideas especially like the tea wallet one.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 AM

bearisgray Yes, we do have $ stores here. Great ideas.....use them lot. Thanks
Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 AM

Mariah good idea..... I have just the pattern for that.