Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
retreats for someone whom wants to learn how to quilt >

retreats for someone whom wants to learn how to quilt

retreats for someone whom wants to learn how to quilt

Old 06-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Default retreats for someone whom wants to learn how to quilt

i am looking for a retreat to learn how to sew/quilt modern quilts....block looking quilts
Old 06-15-2019, 01:25 PM

You might look up quilt guilds in your area. Contact them and ask about retreats or classes. You may find that there is a modern quilt guild. We have one in our area. The retreats that I am familiar with are put on by our quilt guilds, although I have not seen one that included lessons. Just thinking that a guild could point you in the right direction for what you are looking for. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2019, 01:43 PM

thank you...i have never made a quilt before but absolutely love fabric and have a collection of it.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:45 PM

I agree to check for local quilt guilds Or a quilt store in your area that may have classes. Most retreats are for attendees to work on their own projects. I am sure you will find people willing to help you and answer your questions. But, they may not want to spend the whole retreat teaching. Joann’s also has quilting classes. That would teach you the basics to get you started. Also, you can ask any questions you have here for a wealthy of information
Old 06-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Forgot to say welcome to the board. Having a love of fabric is the first step. You will love quilting. Beware: it is addictive
Old 06-15-2019, 02:00 PM

thank you! I will definitely look into nearby stores. The one i bought my machine might have one. Just needing sometime for myself and was hoping there was a retreat to attend.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by denarife View Post
thank you...i have never made a quilt before but absolutely love fabric and have a collection of it.
Welcome- and that is how it all begins- love of fabric and then the collecting Fun stuff! I think I first started collecting patterns-
Old 06-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Welcome, welcome! Your enthusiasm is contagious! You will enjoy a retreat much more after you have learned the basics . A class teacher will break down the steps into manageable parts, answer all your questions because you’re a paying student, after all, and you can work on your first project as homework.

A retreat is generally an event that participants plan in advance to sew their own projects without the interruptions of home and work life. Quilters are more than happy to give advice, answer questions periodically and show their way of doing things when asked. But what they’re paying for is usually a weekend to concentrate on sewing and, when not, then relaxing. That’s not to say there aren’t teaching ones —there are— but More likely they are for folks who know the basics and want to learn a specific technique. I have never been on a quilting retreat but hope to, someday.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:44 PM

You might want to check at your local quilt shop as they may have some classes for beginning quilters
Old 06-15-2019, 03:53 PM

You tube and Missouri star quilt and Jordans fabric have video's. For the basic's a small quilt store may give lessons.