Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Return Accufeed foot to the shop? >

Return Accufeed foot to the shop?

Return Accufeed foot to the shop?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 PM

I agree that you should take it in and see if you can get to the bottom of the problem. The shop staff will have an opportunity to exhibit good customer service. If you approach them with "Can you help me?", I think you can expect that they will do their best to solve the problem.

I purchased a generic walking foot for my vintage Pfaff machine from a sewing machine repair shop. It was lopsided, and it was a fight to sew a straight seam with it. The shop owner agreed with me that it was defective and took it back. She found another brand and told me to take it and try it out. If it worked, I was to come back and pay for it, which I did.

A good shop wants a satisfied customer, and they will work with you to find a solution.

Dayle
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

The machine wanting to kick the fabric over to the left as you get to the end of a seam could mean that the feed dogs need adjustment. You might want to ask about that if you take the machine and foot in to the shop.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM

I have the 7700 and of course the accufeed foot. I have never used it for pieceing though...except rag quilts. Why do you use the accufeed for piecing? my regular 1/4 foot works great.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

I have the 6600 and have had no problems with it kicking the fabric to the side .... and I've done a lot of sewing over mutliple seams/layers of fabric and no problem.

Don't second guess yourself ... in saying you are the problem!
I think more likely there is something wrong with the machine and/or foot.

I'll agree with all the others ... take the machine into the dealer and show them what's happening. Have them solve the problem for you so you can get on with loving your 6600!

Do you know someone else that has a 6600 that you could see how there;s works in comparison.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I have the 7700 and of course the accufeed foot. I have never used it for pieceing though...except rag quilts. Why do you use the accufeed for piecing? my regular 1/4 foot works great.
I was wondering the same thing... I have a 7700 and love the AccuFeed for free motion quilting, but haven't thought to use it for piecing....the 1/4 inch foot works great.... Do others use the AccuFeed for piecing as well? Just curious....
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM

The Accufeed 1/4 inch foot keeps the top and bottom fabrics feeding evenly, so you don't have to worry about getting the end of a seam and them not matching up.

I don't believe the Accufeed foot is supposed to be used for free motion quilting; the convertible quilting foot is the right foot for that.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
I was wondering the same thing... I have a 7700 and love the AccuFeed for free motion quilting, but haven't thought to use it for piecing....the 1/4 inch foot works great.... Do others use the AccuFeed for piecing as well? Just curious....
How do you use the accufeed for FMQ? I use my quilting foot (the round thing) for FMQ. I used the Accufeed foot the last couple of days for putting on binding and some general sewing (too lazy to take it off). It made a world of difference when I used it for putting on the binding. Wow. I had no problems at all using it--and things didn't get as wonky as they sometimes want to get.

But I do usually use my 1/4" regular foot for piecing tops. I didn't realize there was an accufeed 1/4" foot! I have a Horzion 7700.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Power Poster

.... also an AccuFeed SITD foot
....... also the Convertible FMQ foot (different than the Darning Foot, and much nicer to work with)
Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 AM

I sewed another couple of seams with the accufeed quarter inch foot last night & feel a little better about it. However, comparing it to my regular accufeed foot there is definately some side to side play where the foot meets the "ankle" that isn't there in the regular foot, where there is no movement at all.

QuiltE, thanks for the advice. I may take the machine in for servicing soon. This kicking the fabric over is a relatively new occurrence.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 AM

I think that it is probably your machine. I have had a love/hate relationship with my Janome 6500 for those very same reasons. It always balks and jumps or jams at seam junctions and veers off the seam line at the end. It also likes to munch fabric at the beginning of your stitching. Taking it to my dealer numerous times has never helped, the problem was never corrected and all the dealer ever told me was that it was "operator error". I will never buy another Janome or do business with that dealership again. I am now considering a Juki Exceed 600 or the TL 2010Q.