Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reusing antique Feedsack quilt >

Reusing antique Feedsack quilt

Reusing antique Feedsack quilt

Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Default Reusing antique Feedsack quilt

As a child I slept under feedsack quilts at my grandmother's home in Denver. I was given two of them. They must be from 1910-30 time frame. The pattern is very simple and the squares are random, a mixture of squares and crazy quilting. I like some fabrics more than others. They were created for warmth and utility, not beauty. I really don't like the overall look of the quilts, but the fabrics in them that I like give me good memories. Is it possible to untie the quilts and reuse the fabrics in a more appealing way? I could easily untie the quilts as they are tied with yarn. They have large pieces in them as well as 3" squares. Are they valuable even though so simple and unappealing? right now they aren't helping anyone in my closet, so perhaps nothing ventured, nothing gained (or lost).
What do you think? I will try to send a picture.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

no problem reusing the fabric. You may find that the ties left holes in the fabric tho and will have to work around those. As to value. While I'm not an appraiser there probably is not a lot of dollar value in them. And you can find feedsacks to add to what you have if necessary. Prices of feedsacks and pieces on ebay and other sites are way too high but it is possible to find them at reasonable prices. Large qult shows will have vendors with vintage fabric. I even have a couple boxes in the closet. So take them apart and reuse, remake and enjoy.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM

I would keep them like they are if they were mine. But that's just me. It is a real piece that shows how your grandparents lived back then. That's what they had to work with.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM

Thanks
Rose
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM

I don't think I could bear, to undo a piece of family history.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Same here I wouldn't be able to take them apart. Maybe you could loan it to a local museum for display?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I would keep them like they are if they were mine. But that's just me. It is a real piece that shows how your grandparents lived back then. That's what they had to work with.
Same here. Plus, actually I think they are more valuable (money-wise) as-is. On "Antiques Roadshow" they always talk about leaving antiques in their original condition. Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 PM

They are your quilts and you can certainly do what you want with them. However, will your memories be the same if you undo them and remake them? I bet you had some happy times snuggled under them, warm under the quilts and in your grandmother's love. Think first. Decide later. If you're just hiding them in the closet and would like to use them, well maybe it would be better to redo them. Afterall, I'm sure your grandmother would rather you use them and enjoy your memories then just stuff them in a dark closet.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

We often hear about QB members finding a family heirloom that was basically given away at a dirt cheap price and wonder how a family member can give away something that a loved one made, IMHO this falls in the same category for me.. Once cut up and torn apart it is no longer 'that' quilt you once snuggled under.... I have quilts that are definitely not my cup of tea, i do enjoy the fact that even if I think its ugly it was made from love, a lot of hard work not to mention lots of time that went into making it, even as a 'utility' quilt.. I do use my ugly quilts from time to time when weather permits.. I more afraid of being haunted by her if i don't use it!! lol..

It is your quilt to do as you please, and if cutting it up makes you happy then do what makes you happy..

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 05-11-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM

I don't think there's any right or wrong here. I can agree with both sentiments: leave it as is, and re-use the fabrics to make something you like. It doesn't sound like taking the quilt apart and re-using the fabrics will destroy a quilt that is worth a ton of money and must be left untouched. So I think you should do what will please you the most. Some people would be most pleased with the quilt exactly as it was created, whether it was their cup of tea or not. Others would dislike the quilt as is, refuse to use it, and it may end up at Goodwill, which would be a shame. You sound like you are in that category, and if so, enjoy recreating the quilt into one you like better with good memories built into it from the vintage fabrics you slept under.