Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: To reverse stitch or not

To reverse stitch or not

Hello

I was wondering what expert quilters recomend regarding if there is a need to reverse stitch a couple stitches at the beginning and end when you are piecing your blocks or not?

Pros and cons?
    I'm trying to get rid of UFOs... but fresh ideas keep coming up! -^*^-Klarina-^*^-

Blog Entries
    No need to backstitch. Those ends will be included when you sew them to the piece. However if I am using a poly thread (all the time!) I sew off the ends about 1/2" as poly tends to unravel. Another reason to not backstitch is that it makes it harder to rip out if necessary (often!)

I have not done it when putting blocks together. Never had a problem, but I do sometimes when I have to piece borders or bindings. I feel like it makes just a bit stronger, in my mind anyway.
    Anne L. Fulton

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake.

Power Poster
    ​I don't back stitch on blocks but I do back stitch on the outer edge of my rows to prevent the edges from unravelling.

No need if you lower your stitch length. All it does is waste time and create bulk in the seams.

Not when piecing. I do when quilting, attaching bindings etc.

It depends on the seam I'm sewing. Sometimes I feel it needs a bit of anchoring, like at the end of a row of blocks
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

Blog Entries
    not needed because when the blocks are joined and then the borders are added all beginning/ending seams will be stitched over securing them
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I backstitch two stitches at the start and finish. To resew a seam that has pulled open after you start a row is a hassle. Two stitches won't add enough bulk to notice. I tried using the shorter stitch length but it was better just to backstitch for me.
    Got fabric?

As a newbie, I've got several of my current project's 9-patch squares that aren't entirely square. And if I square them, they'll be too small. So I've left them unsquare, and on the parts that aren't long enough to reach a full 1/4" seam (by this I mean REALLY close so that the stitch line is almost on the edge of the fabric), I find that backstitching that portion and then running forward again creates a nice sturdy stitch that is not likely to create a hole in that spot down the road. I know it's creating bulk in the seam, but I'd rather have bulk than a hole later on.

Otherwise, I'm not locking in my stitches at the beginning & end.
    Last edited by Teeler; 04-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast