Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Riccar Sewing Machine >

Riccar Sewing Machine

Riccar Sewing Machine

Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM

I have a Riccar. I seem to be the only one in the world with one. My parents bought it for me years ago because they felt it was a work horse and would last a long time and not breakdown. It has but I find it boring. I only has a few decorative stiches, really just zig zag ones. It doesn't do any of the fancy things I read about on the forum. No 3.0 stich (not even sure what that is). The machine works well. But I am quiliting a lot now and am wondering if I should invest in a fancy machine. My DH and I saw some at Costco and he brought them to my attention but I didn't look at them. I am taking this as a sign that he wouldn't be too upset if I got a new one.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by laadw
I have a Riccar. I seem to be the only one in the world with one. My parents bought it for me years ago because they felt it was a work horse and would last a long time and not breakdown. It has but I find it boring. I only has a few decorative stiches, really just zig zag ones. It doesn't do any of the fancy things I read about on the forum. No 3.0 stich (not even sure what that is). The machine works well. But I am quiliting a lot now and am wondering if I should invest in a fancy machine. My DH and I saw some at Costco and he brought them to my attention but I didn't look at them. I am taking this as a sign that he wouldn't be too upset if I got a new one.
I have one!! :-D

My mum bought it for me a million years ago, second hand at a garage sale (yard sale I think you guys call it, where you sell off your stuff from your house).

It runs well, but once I started really getting into quilting it just wasn't enough.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

I think you should get a new one if you can.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM

get a new machine from a reputable shop and make sure that you can get a few clases taught on how to use it. Make sure parts are easy to come by!!!

I would not personally get a machine fron a store that does not specialize in sewing stuffbut just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM

One of my dearest friends has a Riccar. I had never heard of it before, but since my hubby collects Featherweights, I asked him about it and he says it is an excellent, workhorse of a machine. It is sort of like comparing a mule to a race horse. They both work but one has more style.
Quilting has evolved so far from what most of started out doing that we should use the most up to date machine we can afford. I would never recommend purchasing one from a discount store or thrift shop. Buy only from a sewing machine dealer who will offer lessons, maintenance options and support for your machine. You will never regret it!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Piecing on your workhorse and another machine for decorative sounds great to me :D:D:D
Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 AM

I used to have a Riccar! I soooo loved that machine! Have looked for one for years but could not find one. Mine was lost at an airport in Germany! I now own a older Janome. It sews well but I guess I had a love affair with my Riccar!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

I have never heard of that brand but maybe you could get a new one and save the old one as a trusty backup.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 PM

I had a Riccar back in the 80's and loved. Unfortunately so did someone else as we had a breakin and it was taken. They are a rotary machine and operate on a different principle. Have you thought about two machines? I also would not buy a machine where they do not give instructions and service.