Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Right thread for piecing >

Right thread for piecing

Right thread for piecing

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 AM

I use to use Mettler ( still have some I am using up) but am preferring the Aurifil. Less lint and just like the smoother look with it. For the long arm It was recommended to use the So Fine and it is wonderful.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:13 AM

Signature, Mettler Silk Finish, Aurifil 50 wt., Precencia. All are are great and in my arsenal of threads. No lint.

sandy
Old 02-24-2015, 05:14 AM

Whn I first started to quilt I used Mettler silk finish 50 wt cotton for piecing and fmq. I disliked it for putting the pieces together. It is too thick for me. I like and better yet, my machine like Guttermann Mara 100. It is a polyester thread that I buy at www.wawak.com . I use this thread for everything except the quilting. Sometimes you need to use what your machine likes. I have tried others but these work for my Pfaff 7550.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 AM

I took a class from Harriet Hargrave and she recommended Prescencia 60 weight. I buy it on a large cone in a neutral color. I've used it for years and am happy with it.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:30 AM

I so appreciate all of the advice I get by just reading the comments. I was so busy reading and so new to quilting that I hardly ever felt I had enough knowledge to chime in. But I read so many posts on thread so I bought several different brands, Aurifil, Precencia, Gutterman and Superior thread. I began with Connecting thread because it was suggested by a gal who was helping me begin to quilt. I never seemed to have any problems but didn't know any better. All this to say after trying all the different threads, some I liked and some I didn't as well. Just recently I was starting a project and could not get the bottom tension correct on my Janomi. Finally in desperation I put some Connecting thread in bobbin and walla it sewed perfectly. Now go figure, I think she is letting me know she has a mind of her own and I'd better cooperate!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 AM

I am of the mind that it's a machine and if IT only worked correctly with a "name brand" thread, that info would be in bold letters in the manual and stamped on the bobbin! I am suspicious of a dealer recommending a certain thread...especially since they are a dealer for that product. Cha-Ching .......I have sown for many years using old, cheap, expensive sewing machines and have used old, new, thin, thick threads on all and they have worked fine.....so my conclusion is...the operator knowing, not IT telling....JMHO
Old 02-24-2015, 06:13 AM

My machine seems to sew great no matter what I put in there, but I like fine thread for most sewing. Partially because I'm lazy and the finer the thread, the more that will fit on the bobbin! I like Precensia or Aurifil for piecing.

I don't like C&C because of price and inconvenience - they're convenient to buy but there's so little on each spool, I have to use 2 or more spools per quilt which is an inconvenience. And since there is so little on each spool the price really adds up. Connecting Threads' thread is heavier and lintier than Precensia or Aurifil so I don't usually use it for piecing, but I like it for quilting where I want the stitches to show up. Whenever they have a sale I stock up - I have 1-2 spools of every color they carry and I like being able to almost always find just the right color for quilting right there in my cabinet, and the thread is inexpensive so I don't mind "stashing" a lot of thread. There's a ton on each spool, instead of using 1-2 spools per quilt, I get 2-3 quilts out of each spool.

I didn't listen to my dealer either. She recommended Robison-Anton for my machine, and gave me a promo box with a ton of it with my machine. I don't like it. It's thick, it's linty, and I've found knots on two separate cones. I'm slowly using the free stuff up and will not be buying any more. It doesn't break or anything like that, it's just no fun to sew with.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:32 AM

I'll use most anything that is 50 weight or finer, and comes in large spools - When I find Aurifil on sale somewhere, I'll stock up - also use just a few neutrals. I don't buy small spools at the local chains for anything other than garment sewing when I need a specific color. For quilting, I buy Isacord most of the time, because I have a local source - it comes in a million colors and is not at all expensive at abour $4 for about 1,000 yards. I have only had an issue one time with trying to FMQ with Connecting Threads - kept breaking, might have been just that particular spool, but it has made me shy away from buying it.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 AM

I do all of my piecing with Aurifil and buy cones of white, light grey and beige. Spendy but worth it to me. I also use it for quilting on a fair amount of my scrappy donation quilts as I like how it sinks into the fabric and doesn't stand out. For quilts where I want to see color I buy the collections from Connecting Threads when they are on sale. I really like their thread.

My Juki isn't picky about thread so I have bits & bobs of other manufacturers but Aurifil and CT are my go-to threads.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:55 AM

What weight is serger thread? Could that be used in any application for piecing? Perhaps in the bobbin?