Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Right thread for piecing >

Right thread for piecing

Right thread for piecing

Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 AM

I usae what matches the fabric I'm using. Brands - schmands!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 AM

For piecing and if its on my regular machine and especially if it has lots of seams and finished size counts, I always use Aurifil. Love it and its low lint and strong, its two ply instead of 3 and really helped me get my small civil war blocks to come out accurate. If its on my serger then I use serger thread and never have to worry about filling a bobbin so that works out great. If I want to make sure a quilt holds up I use the rule of cotton fabric with cotton thread, over time it won't break down the fabric. I know some don't think this is true and that's ok, I was taught this from an expert who has been around along time and is award winning so I go by what she taught and don't discriminate anyone who uses other threads. To each his/her own I think
Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 PM

I learned a lot about thread, needles, and tension from Superior's website. It has a WEALTH of information and it finally made sense!

I've tested various brands and the only ones my machine did NOT like was Floriani and King Tut.

I use Connecting Threads Essentials for all of my machine quilting, and stock up on almost every color when it goes on sale - although even at full price, it's a great bargain. I will also use CTs for piecing on most quilts I make and give away.

But for those special quilts that require detail and precision piecing, I love to use Superior's Masterpiece. My machine seems very happy with Masterpiece and even seems to "hum" when using Masterpiece! Again, when it goes on sale, I stock up (mostly just use neutral colors).
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM

There are almost as many "right answers" as there quilters. *My* preference is cotton for piecing, my favorites are 60wt Presencia, 50wt Aurifil, and 50wt Masterpiece by Superior. Both Mettler cotton "silk finish" and Essentials by Connecting Threads are "ok", but too linty, IMO. I do use each at times, but won't likely buy more.

Polyester thread has much less lint, if you prefer.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 PM

I totally love DMC 50wt Cotton Embroidery thread. If you have any of Sally Collins Quilting books, you will see that it is the thread that she uses as well.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 AM

I know different ppl have different preferences but it sure is nice to see what ppl like about each brand. I didn't realize just how many brands were out there! Thanks to all and also thanks to icul8rg8r for mentioning a website to learn more about it!
Old 02-27-2015, 01:25 PM

I don't know if it is the thread or just me getting better with practice (doubt it) but I've noticed since I switched to the Presencia 60wt, my piecing has become a LOT more accurate. And I've noticed a lot less lint than with the Coats & Clark I was using.