Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rik rak straight stitch >

Rik rak straight stitch

Rik rak straight stitch

Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I have an old machine & on small rick-rack I sew straight down the middle. On slightly larger rick-rack and up, I will use a straight stitch, but either use a darning foot with feed dogs covered (or dropped, if you can drop them) or else will just ease the stitch line a bit to the left and right to help tack down the edges a little bit. It does tend to curl a bit with washing. I take my mini iron (or a regular iron) and press down the edges of the rick-rack because I don't like the curled look, but that's up to you.

I use a LOT of rick-rack on quilts and have never pre-washed it & haven't experienced any issue with it shrinking. It's synthetic fiber, so less prone to shrink than cotton anyways. My biggest issue was fraying until I learned that you can melt the raw edges with a match/lighter. No other issues.

All good ideas. I went into a rik rak phase lol. No it doesn't shrink or curl any more. I glue baste it so I get a straight seam without it moving around. For the ends I use a little fray check - that's a what I use for Serging. It works well
Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 AM

I usually sew a straight line down the middle but I've also used a zigzag stitch.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks all. I won a large lot of vintage rik rak and seam bias off ebay. (With price tags like: $0.39 stamped on the package from the manufacturer…) Good to know about needing to wash it first! I’m so oblivious sometimes… I would have just put it on and then been confused after washing. Great tips. Thank you! It’s all so pretty, I am anxious to use it.