Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rings that bind...fabric selection help. >

Rings that bind...fabric selection help.

Rings that bind...fabric selection help.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by havinfun View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364322[/ATTACH]
This is a close up of what I was talking about before when I said you can see a little bit of the arc from this side...I will get it in time.

Ok here is my new problem...
I started with an 18 inch square and from that used my arc to make a circle that was 17.5 inch circle. On the back I drew my 12 inch square. Now on the video she puts a piece of batting inside the 12 inch square (which I believe she said was 11.5 inches) I've not got to that part yet. Then she takes her top piece which she says is 12.5 inches and puts over that...On the video it is a perfect fit to the circle (her corners of the 12.5 inch top fit perfecty on the circle)....My 12 inch square don't even fit no more.
I think this is where your problem is. Are those lines that can be seen on the back, originally drawn a 12" square? If so, it looks to me like your seam allowance my be bigger than 1/4" - you've sewn too much into the seam, and what's left isn't full size any more.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 AM

I smile at your enthusiasm because I was the same way 15 years ago. I also thought I could do ANYTHING if I was willing to put in the time and effort. Not so. Making a quilt is exacting and there is a learning curve that everyone has to experience. First of all, don't make a quilt you know is difficult. You could be so exasperated that you quit in the middle. I don't know where you're getting your fabric or your quilt patterns, but you'll need to get the approprate "tools" (rotary cutter, mat, rulers, etc) If you have access to a quilt shop it would help a lot. Why not put a stack of fabrics (any size is okay, but I'd suggest 4"). Figure out how you're going to get a consistent l/4" seam (that's VERY important) and sew your blocks together working so the seams go together in all directions. Takes a little practice, believe it or not. There are many, many techniques you can use but you will need to learn them as you advance in your quilting projects. I say 4" squares (all cotton), then put a border around them. You'll learn as you go along and I hope you enjoy the quilting process as much as I do.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I've made this pattern before and it does much better using a sewing machine.