Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: RIP: My Dearly Loved Iron

Blog Entries
    My iron died today. It has been with me for a few years. It just decided it couldn't heat up anymore.
    I went to buy the same one to replace it with, and the only one they had left was the display. I asked if I could buy the display, and they said, "No, not until it goes clearance." Here, I'm ready now to pay full price for a display! Why won't they take my money? Sheesh.
    So, I settle to buy one of similar nature, same brand, different color. I get it home, and the burst of steam button doesn't work.
    Tomorrow, I will have to find another iron. One that I can love dearly for a few years or more. Why does this seem impossible?

Irons are not so good any more...I feel fortunate if they last 2 years. My mother had the same one for many many years...and she ironed every week! Does anyone still iron sheets and pillowcases? She did - not in later years though.

Mine is slowly dying a very slow death - won't heat up. Purchased a new one Sunday, haven't taken it out of the box yet - the other one isn't quite dead and we too have been together for years :(

Blog Entries
    It seem the only way I can get an iron to last more than 6 mos. is to have a spare one on the shelf in the closet. Mine only goes out in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by bjeriann
    It seem the only way I can get an iron to last more than 6 mos. is to have a spare one on the shelf in the closet. Mine only goes out in the middle of the night.
    That is absolutely true about having a back-up. I buy my irons at thrift stores and yard sales. As long as I have a back-up, my irons seem to last several years. If I fail to get a new back-up after pulling out my previous back-up, it seems to die fast! LOL

After having to discard several irons, ranging from Black & Decker to an expensive Rowenta, after using them for only a short time, I finally decided to forget about new irons. I went back to using a GE dry iron that I got in my wedding shower in 1964. Still works perfectly. I just use a mist bottle instead of steam.

I wonder if it is only quilters that get so attached to their irons, I dread the day that mine dies. I hate looking for Irons, good luck in your search.