Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ripping out and re-doing my binding. >

Ripping out and re-doing my binding.

Ripping out and re-doing my binding.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 AM

I'm glad you are keeping the teal. It looks great to me. But here is a tip on ripping off bindings. You just grab the binding in one hand and the quilt in the other and RIP. Works only for straight grain binding, but I have done it on more than one quilt. When you get to a corner, you need to be a little more careful as there may be some back-stitching or angle stitching there. I ripped one at my last quilt class just to show that you don't have to be afraid of it.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by youngduncan View Post
I like your original binding, too! It makes the dots in your block pop out a little bit more. Interesting, too, that you like the original fabric so much that you still want to include it in your "fabric auditions."
I'm glad!

The one I included in the auditions was actually a lighter colorway of the original.

The mom always dresses this little girl in polka dots and her favorite toy is Horton, so I "had" to incorporate both into this quilt.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 AM

I too love the teal for the binding. It's perfect with the white! Very cute baby quilt! Nine patch is my favorite block! Sounds like you're like me, too much of a perfectionist!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
That is interesting! But I'm afraid that I have that frugal quilter's mentality to a FAULT . I wouldn't want to waste the fabric doing that!
Honestly, saving the binding never once crossed my mind. The only thought I had was I don't like this binding, I need to use another color. I know picking out the binding, removing all the short threads, repressing, and then waiting for another quilt the same size to re use it would just prolong the feeling of I made a mistake and have to redo it.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 AM

I really like that quilt! I like the teal binding too. It's a Seuss quilt without going all out with the Seuss fabric. Good Job!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 AM

Well I guess I'm weird, but I like your original binding. Super quilt! I use one of the colors in my quilt/projects for the binding and my DH's selection as he is amazing at picking colors. I'm in a mug rug swap at present and while they are mini quilts I still want mine to be just as perfect as I can get them. I was really sweating it as I made the binding, no more of that fabric; but I made it. So you aren't the only one that wants it to be right. I do think you are being a little hard on yourself, we've all made selections that didn't work out the way we'd planned and I'll bet we'll do it again.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 AM

I'm of the same opinion as the first few posters -- I love what you originally sewed onto the quilt -- it's a lovely 'frame' for your top!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 AM

I've gotta' add my vote for the original binding too. Beautiful quilt. She should be one happy little girl with this one.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 AM

I really like the original binding. The narrow binding is there, but it's not there if you know what I mean. that choice of binding pulls it all together without taking away from the whole presentation. I would have chosen that binding, but if it sticks out in your mind that it's wrong, then choose another one. I really think you should keep it, though.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 AM

Very pretty - and no one will ever see those blocks as too close together but you!