Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Romance of Quilting History >

The Romance of Quilting History

The Romance of Quilting History

Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 AM

It seems to me that many people talk about the history of quilting in terms of women from way back then using scraps cut out of used clothing in order to make blankets for their families.

As a (very) amateur textile historian, I think this ignores the other side of quilting, one which was probably even more prevalent: women putting together patches of fabric to make a utility object into one that was decorative as well.

For instance, the earliest examples of quilts in Europe are the Tristan quilts, dated from approximately 1250-1300 ce. They were definitely decorative in nature and were probably wall hangings rather than bed quilts. Moving forward in time, there were broderie perse quilts (a form of applique) from the 1600s and Baltimore Album quilts of the 1840s and many others, all clearly intended to be decorative in nature.

You can't tell me that Jane Stickle made her sampler quilt as a purely utilitarian item; if so, why did she fiddle with tiny bits of fabric for so many small blocks? If she was in desperate need of a warm blanket, she would have used the largest patches possible to get through the project as quickly as possible.

For that matter, even quilts that were made of used clohing often have patches that are much smaller than one would assume the usable fabric accounted for. Which suggests that the maker was as interested in aesthetics as she was in utility; small patches waste an incredible amount of fabric and time compared to large patches.

Sometimes I wonder if, by paying a disproportionate amount of attention to the utilitarian history of quilting, we are inadvertently contributing to the lack of value quilts have today. Sure, the award winning quilts go for thousands of dollars (and are well worth it) but I've been reading many accounts of quilters who discovered their efforts were ridiculously underpriced.

Perhaps talking more about the history of women making quilts primarily as a way to beautify their homes, the general public will start to see quilting in general as more valuable.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

you wrote:
((For that matter, even quilts that were made of used clohing often have patches that are much smaller than one would assume the usable fabric accounted for. Which suggests that the maker was as interested in aesthetics as she was in utility; small patches waste an incredible amount of fabric and time compared to large patches))

from accounts from a great-great grandmother---itty bitty pieces were---not wasting ANY fabric when a worn out clothing item was---too worn to be used any longer---instead of cutting out what large pieces could be salvaged they used every itty bitty piece- if they could only get 1 more inch from that sleeve-they did not throw away the inch- they used it--
they were anything but wasteful...nothing was wasted- every piece was used- the larger pieces were at times given to the young girls learning to sew- other times the little pieces were given-
our family started (and is still) in cold climates- and yes- when warmth was needed they used as large of pieces as they could and got the utilitarian quilts done as quickly as need dictated- but they saved every little piece- and used them as they went along too.....
maybe sometime way back---victorian days or something some wasted fabric---but i doubt it- they were not taught to just throw stuff away -- like those of us now living in such a wasteful disposable society...they figured out ways to use everything.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:28 AM

Definitely food for thought...thank you.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thank you for posting this - it annoys me when ppl talk about 'art quilts' as if they were a whole new idea and that the only 'real quilts' are the ones to be used. You make many valid and interesting points.

From my own readings on the subject, cotton fabrics specifically for quilting were being produced in America and Europe from as early as the 18th Century and the myth that quilting was 'invented' by American Pioneer ladies using up their scraps is just that - a myth. Of course this did happen as well but is only a small part of the story. Quilting and patchwork had already been around in Europe and Asia for centuries before the white man even set foot in America.

I've seen a quilted piece in the Victoria & Albert Museum in London dating from the 14th Century that is anything but utilitarian OR American for that matter. :-D http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/journal...om-the-coilte/ This is one of the Tristan pieces that you mention. :-D
Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 AM

You made me think of the quilted items under armor. Hate to think of the damage to the skin without it.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:28 AM

The beginning of human intelligence was probably a woman tyeing a knot in a blade of grass. Putting things together just comes naturally, the practical applications and art follow that impulse.

No one has enough knowledge to truly judge what is real and authentic. Groups of us agree on a set of rules that make us feel comfortable and in control. With that follows the arrogance it takes to disdain someone else's work.

In other words, enjoy your work and encourage others by admiration.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 AM

Not wanting to waste anything they used everything.
Desiring beauty they used it in a pleasing manner.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 AM

Thanks for that food for thought. It is always good to challenge unexamined beliefs!