Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter blade sharpeners >

Rotary cutter blade sharpeners

Rotary cutter blade sharpeners

Old 12-12-2006, 05:45 PM

My husband has adhesive sandpaper for his shopsmith. He made me replacement disks...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM

I Have one and hate it. Don't waste your money.

Carole
Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM

I have one, and I kind of like it. I get a little more mileage out of the blades with it, but it definitely does not make them "like new" again. I've been thinking I would try to replace the sharpening disks on it with some emery cloth to see if it would sharpen better. I think the concept is good, but the design could use a little work.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:15 PM

I have one and like it. The trick is (a)don't cut yourself & (b) be sure to turn the blade over and sharpen both sides of the blade. You also have to use both sides of the sanding disks, so that means 15 revolutions; turn over for 15 more revolutions; & repeat on the other side of the sanding disks, so yes, that means a total of 60 revolutions. No, it's not the same as a new blade, but it sure gives a new life to the old ones. Wait for a 40 or 50% off sale, and then get one. BTW, you need to get one for each size blade you use, so no, you cannot sharpen a 28mm blade on a 60 mm sharpener.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:20 PM

I am so glad I read this. I was planning a trip to Hancock Fabric this weekend and a blade sharpener was on my list of things to buy. Since my local fabric store charged me $35.99 for a pack of 5 blades, I thought I might see if I could make them last longer. But this will not be one of the options.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:23 PM

I have tried one too; actually I was at a retreat and a quilt store was a "guest" there so I bought one from her and it didn't work for ____ so she took it back; no questions. It was way worse than b/4 I tried to sharpen it. Also, if you have a JoAnn's or at your Hancock, use a 40% off coupon to buy your blades or when they have their quilting notions on sale. Helps a lot! I sure wish I could find a tried and true method to give new life to old blades though.
Originally Posted by quiltnmom
I am so glad I read this. I was planning a trip to Hancock Fabric this weekend and a blade sharpener was on my list of things to buy. Since my local fabric store charged me $35.99 for a pack of 5 blades, I thought I might see if I could make them last longer. But this will not be one of the options.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 PM

In the Fall 2010 Keepsake Quilting catalog, page 117, they show some new acrylic rulers with a "diamond-powdered-encrusted edge" that's supposed to sharpen your cutter as you use it. Then, onpage 122, they show 2 different types of blade sharpeners. I have the one mentioned before that has the sanpaper discs and I'm not thrilled with it. Either I waited too long to try to sharpen my blade, or it just doesn't work the way I had hoped it would. (Now I know why it was on clearance - LOL) I don't know if the other ones in the catalog are any better, but I'm leary now. Think I'll just replace them with ones from Harbor Freight.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Who is Harbor Freight or why them?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Harbor Freight is a hardware type store. They sell carpet cutting blades that fit the rotary cutters. There are several posts on the boards about them. They sell blades that fit the 45mm cutter $1.99 for a pack of 2. Sometimes in the weekly sale flyers there is a coupon for 20% off. I haven't tried them but the posts on here speak very highly of them.