Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter >

Rotary Cutter

Rotary Cutter

Old 07-13-2014, 01:42 PM

I am really partial to the Martelli ergonomic rotary cutters.....If you can wait until they have them on their Redline Direct sales, they are 50% off - making the cost about $12 or $13...........I love their blades too......last so much longer than any others and stay really sharp..
Old 07-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I love my fiskar and the titanium blades
Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 PM

I like Olfa rotary cutters. Only problem I have is the order of replacing the blades - even when I have laid all the parts in order. Just me.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:51 PM

I have several different rotary cutter bu different manufacturers. I use them all at one time or another but my go to is my Olfa 45 mm, also.
The main reason I wanted to post on here is that I recently did something I wish I had done about 4 yrs. ago. I have 4 grandbabies whom I love more than I can ever explain. I bought a plastic storage container @ JAF that you can put a lock on. So I gathered up all my rotary cutters & put them in the box & locked it up. I have always had a fear that one of my DGC would some how (I always keep them put up in a high place) get ahold of one of them. 2 of my DGB live close & are at our home frequently.
So I thought I would share this idea with others who may have children or GC, who could potentially get ahold of them. I would be crushed if any of mine got hurt because of my carelessness. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM

I love my Gingher rotary cutter. I have had it 7+ yrs and it is by far the best. I have Olfa, Friskers & the Ergo thing..One I use with decorative blades, one is for paper & the Ergo is just kinda 'in case of'. My son gave me the Gingher cutter for Mother's Day and I absolutely love it. I usually use Titanium blades when I can get them. The Friskers blades work very well in it too. The Gingher is pricey, but in my opinion, it is so worth it..
Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 AM

I love the Martelli ergonomic rotary cutter. I have used this for years and it's the only one I can comfortably cut with. Their blades can be a little bit pricey, but they last for quite a while.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 AM

As with sewing machines, the "best" rotary cutter is purely subjective. That said, I like the Olfa 28 mm best (this is the straight one with the slide closure). I find the 45 mm and 60 mm to cumbersome to use and the 18 mm is too small. JMHO...
Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 PM

I use the Olfa 45 mm cutter. Be careful. I had one explode on me and the blade actually broke in two pieces and the cutter came apart. I came apart and cut my cutting hand. Just make sure the screw is tighten each time you use it.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 AM

I've only ever tried Olfa and the TruCut.

Hated the TruCut (didn't like the hand positioning), so kept with the Olfa, which is what I started off with - it's a 45mm with manual retraction. I think size-wise a 45mm is probably the best to start with, though I like the idea of a self-retracting blade (haven't actually tried one).

If you like the handle/feel of the cutter you have you could just try swapping out the blade for a different brand - I've tried various different cheapy brands, but always came back to the Olfa ones so that it what I'm sticking with