Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rotary cutters do not turn >

rotary cutters do not turn

rotary cutters do not turn

Old 06-18-2015, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Once in a blue moon my cutter won't cut at all. Strange but it happens. I will roll over the fabric and not make one cut. I have never figured out why when it happens. It seems the fabric is non cuttable.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:36 AM

When installing a new blade place one little black dot on the outside of the blade near the top with a permanent marker. Allow to dry and cut a scrap of material and carefully glance down at the dot to determine if the blade is rolling smoothly around. Also when turning the blade around to the opposite side to get extended use before discarding, put two small dots on the outside of the blade which will again be used to check for rotation after tightening and will be a reminder that you are now using the second side of the blade. I find this to be very helpful.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:29 AM

That's a great tip.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

I would say its the humidity and maybe the blade needs some oil (mineral oil). I always wiped the oil off a new blade until I read on the package that it needed the oil to roll smoothly.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM

Are all your cutters the same brand? If you have changed all their blades at the same time it is possible that you have put them back together improperly. I have kept my original packing for my cutters for that reason. I can never remember the way the washer is supposed to go in my Olfa cuter. Each brand goes together slightly different and they do need the oil that is on them when they come. If we knew the brands we may be able to help more. Once I thought I had a bad blade, it turned out I had 2 stuck together, and another time it was the mat.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 AM

Are they the type with a safety lock? I've put the safety lock on mine, then totally forgot when I tried to use them. Actually have done that more than once.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:59 AM

So many people forget that such a useful tool needs some TLC, just last Friday one of my class was moaning about their cutter so I asked if she had cleaned and oiled it recently and she gave me a blank look, couldn't have been paying attention when I gave a tutorial!

On a clear space have ready some tissues and some sewing oil, and carefully unscrew your blade and place all the pieces down carefully making sure you handle the blade safely. You will most likely find quite a lot of fluff between that blade and cutter, and in the workings so brush out. Put a few drops of sewing oil on a tissue and wipe clean where the blade fits on the cutter making sure you leave a nice oil sheen on it and do the same with the blade and screws, only a smear not dripping in oil. Now put it back together remembering to put the spring in the right way, which with Olfa and most cutters I have used with the curl going upwards, screw down firmly but not overtight.

This solves most problems that I have had other than if the blade is completely dead then replace with a new one, how often to clean them, how often do you cut, you can often see the fine fluff when the blade is open and that is when is needs cleaning and oiling. Hope this helps
Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 AM

Make sure you have the correct brand blade with the handle you are using, and try a drop of sewing oil on the backside of between the blade and handle

Last edited by thread mess; 06-26-2015 at 05:47 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 06-26-2015, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by thread mess View Post
Make sure you have the correct brand blade with the handle you are using, and try a drop of sewing oil on the backside of between the blade and handle
I agree with the oiling but I use the best priced blades and have had no problem. A thought tho' I cut sitting down, for health reasons and my blades last so much longer than the rest of the class who cut standing up, I wonder if it is due to the added pressure you use standing up?!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

please get on the site for your cutter and see if they have a video or pics of changing the blade. most do.