Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Cutters Sharpners

Blog Entries
    Does any one use one of these and if so what kind?

Blog Entries
    I use the Orbital Rotary Cutter Blade Sharpener.

Blog Entries
    I use the one from Gracie company--and it is very good--however I think it cost about $25

I also use the Orbital rotary cutter sharpener. I just did 10 blades the other day and it took less than 20 minutes to get everything ready, sharpened and put away. And it works great! I am very happy with it. It works on 45mm or 60mm of any brand. Mine are Fiskars and Olfa.

where do you purchase these Orbial Sharpeners?

I use the Oribital made by Dritz. I got it at Hancocks Fabrics a few years ago. Works great! It is worth the $12.00 or so dollars over the expense and inconvenience of having to run back to a store to buy new blades.

I was wondering if these were any good. I guess I better go get one . :-) My blades are abit dull.

Quote Originally Posted by grammysews4u
    My LQS has them and one of the workers suggested I try it since I was buying new blades. It's a very wonderful, large LQS and I sure appreciated her info and suggestion. I can get at least 2 sharpenings out of each blade maybe 3 and I have 10 dull blades... well, they were dull but now they are sharpened! And work very very good. The cost was $29.95 and comes with everything you need. But at the price of an Olfa 45mm, geez, it hasn't taken me long to pay for the sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    Quote Originally Posted by grammysews4u
    My LQS has them and one of the workers suggested I try it since I was buying new blades. It's a very wonderful, large LQS and I sure appreciated her info and suggestion. I can get at least 2 sharpenings out of each blade maybe 3 and I have 10 dull blades... well, they were dull but now they are sharpened! And work very very good. The cost was $29.95 and comes with everything you need. But at the price of an Olfa 45mm, geez, it hasn't taken me long to pay for the sharpener.
    Don't you love businesses that will refer you to something that in the long run won't make them money???

Just wondering - how would these work if the blade is nicked?

My LQS let me use their well-worn cutting table during a class and my blade hasn't been the same since.

cmw... it says it will take out the nicks because there are 2 sharpening devices. One is coarse and the other is fine. Use the coarse one first. I can't say I've gotten nicks in my blades, I suppose if I had, I'd probably know it. But I use both the coarse and the fine, just to be on the safe side. It does say that those sharpening "wheels" will wear down, but I think that would take a long time. They are made of metal, sort of like a grinder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast