Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutters >

Rotary cutters

Rotary cutters

Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Ihaven't read all the comments, so I don't know if anyone has commented on using the Accuquilt Go. I sounds like your fabric is stretching. You can prevent that by putting a piece of clean white paper between the fabric and the mat. Accuquilt recommends that you do that - it won't hurt the dies.

I rarely use my rotary cutter anymore since I started using Accuquilt. I have most of the dies - and I love the strip cutters and the HST cutters. For HSTs, I put my Go next to my Pfaff, cut the fabric RST, pick up the HSTs and sew them in chains. It's almost magic!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Re. rotary cutters. Are you sure it is the blade at fault,if they only last for one cut. What sort of cutting mat do you use? Even if you are bad at cutting they should last longer than one cut, that would only affect the measurement of your cut, not the sharpness of your blade. Perhaps someone is using your cutter for something other than fabric, paper or card maybe----- there are such unknown fairies around ( you know who you are !!) However, hope you can solve your problem . Love
Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM

I was very disappointed with my titanium blades, didn't seem to last any longer than the regular blades. I'm beginning to think it may be the fault of my cutting mat(s).
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM

I'm going to try putting a piece of copy paper between the fabric and cutting board to see if that works. Sure hope so and thanks for the idea!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM

I think that Harbor Freight must buy their blades from different sources because I have read that some people have good luck with them and some do not. I ordered 2 packages of them and they are horrible. They cut like an old blade that is ready to be thrown away and I was only trying to cut 1 layer of material. I wouldn't waste my money on them. I can use them for cutting paper for my paper pieceing only.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought a Gingher rotary cutter (expensive) and blades (sharp and stay sharp and are not expensive) and learned that you put your index finger on top of the cutter pointing towards where you are cutting. It works for me. I can cut 8 layers of fabric with my 6 month old blade!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM

Martelli cutter and blades are fantastic!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM

I was told not to cut paper with a rotary cutter because it make the blade dull. From what I've seen, it is true.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM

If you are having trouble with your hand moving while cutting, try the Tru Cut rulers and their ergonomic rotary blade cutter MY COMFORT CUTTER Http//:www.graceframe.com. The rulers have a raised lip and the cutter has an area that rides on that lip to get straight cuts every time. I also purchased their Tru Grip rubberized pads to put on my rulers so the ruler won't slip around as I move my hand. You have to pick up the rulers instead of sliding them but the straight cutting is so worth the effort. Look at their online catalog for the rulers it has great pictures of how they function.

I just bought a second 24" ruler and Comfort Cutter and had them shipped to my daughter's in CA. I want to leave them there to cut with when I go to visit. Because you know we'll be quilting while I'm there!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 PM

As for the slipping ruler, I recently purchased the Invisagrip for the back of some of my rulers and it works great. However, no need for the Invisagrip on Golden Rule rulers as they don't slip as easily in the first place..