Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutters >

Rotary cutters

Rotary cutters

Old 10-28-2014, 11:32 PM

Default Rotary cutters

How do you transport your cutter? I just throw in the bag with all my other notions. BUT I am travelling a distance 2 hour drive to a class and am suddenly thinking this would not be safe in an accident if the contents of the bag flew out.
I also carry the bernina pen knife gadget set in my handbag, again no knife but is. It safe in there?

Should they both be in a hard strong container with excellent lid ie glasses case.

To use they are safe and items we use daily. I was thinking of men and electrric tools just left laying around danger. Both based on familiarity.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:33 AM

I would have to totally empty my car . Nothing is safe if it flies. Travel safe, watch out for other crazy, preoccupied drivers. Put your stuff in the trunk if you are concerned. I drive a van. Potential projectiles are everywhere.

Sandy
Old 10-29-2014, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

I carry my cutters, scissors, knives in either tins, pencil cases or other ( box) type containers. I have some great tins that work great, no risk of scissor points poking through, tight fitting lids, ( ones from pen sets do not take up much room and work great, just right for my small Fiskar scissors
Old 10-29-2014, 04:08 AM

Everything sharp goes in a case that zips shut. I rolled my car once and learned the hard way about flying objects. Long ago with glass pop bottles. (Remember those!!?)
Old 10-29-2014, 04:51 AM

I bought a really inexpensive zippered pencil case at Target during 'back to school' sale time and it works great. I think I paid about $2 for it. It's large enough to hold my 60mm cutter, my 45mm cutter, spare blades for each and a pair of small scissors.

I don't worry so much about stuff flying around in my car (I keep it pretty empty), but more about reaching into my bag and getting cut - my 45mm cuter is the kind that auto-closes when you let go of it, but if it's just shoved in a bag with other stuff the handle can get pressed and expose the blade. Plus it's just more organized that way.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I use my F&P Klutz glove (suppose to protect your left hand from getting cut with a rotary cutter) to store my rotary cutter.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

You want to keep your sharp & pointy stuff in a container that you won't accidentally grab and the stuff won't poke thru. You can use anything that won't easily crush. A small cardboard box would work
A couple years ago, Connecting Threads carried a very hard sided pencil case for this purpose. They must not have sold well because eventually they marked them down to $0.79. I bought a dozen & gave them as stocking stuffers to all my quilting friends. They hold many (but on all) brands of cutters and a single extra blade in one of those plastic clamshell holders.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:39 AM

This is one of the reasons I love my zippered totes. Luckily I have a lot of them from my professional days, when I got them free. I'll even put a zipper on a tote if that helps me to use it.

I do have a clear plastic cosmetic tote bag that carries my BSK [basic sewing kit.]
Old 10-29-2014, 07:46 AM

Crystal light containers
Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Went to an estate sale last week and found to travel totes one for cosmetics and one for jewelry. My rotary cutters fit into a couple zippered containers. There are a couple see through pockets with zippers that snap on with Velcro. My blades fit in those. One of the other small bags/totes holds my yo yos and hexies. Both bags/totes have places for scissors and a tape measure. Thread and the like. I paid $3.00 total. DH was about to throw out some leather gloves. I grabbed them and cut the fingers off. They work great on scissor blades for protection. All of my totes have zipper or Velcro closures.