Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rotary cutters ?

I am not used to using a rotary cutter at all. In fact, I have just ordered my first one. Do the different brands just use the one brands blades or do all the blades fit any rotarty cutter?

I own a Fiskers and the generic blades from WalMart fit it just fine and are inexpensive.

Blog Entries
    I have a Fiskars and loved it. But I recently changed blades and it is driving me batty!!! I think the blade I took off was an Olfa brand blade. I used a Fiskars blade refill and it just slides around. The blade I took off had a D kind of shaped opening where it went on the screw holding it but this on is just a round hole.

Banned
    I have 4 or 5 different brands; they all seem to take whatever blades I get on sale at Joanns

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I have 4 or 5 different brands; they all seem to take whatever blades I get on sale at Joanns
    ditto

I have fiskars and olfa and I interchange the blades all the time. But did just order from Harbor Freight and use those in both brands. I haven't really noticed a difference.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have fiskars and olfa and prefer the Olfa.
    Blades interchange as far as I can tell. Make sure you put then in right is the only difference.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I have a Fiskars and loved it. But I recently changed blades and it is driving me batty!!! I think the blade I took off was an Olfa brand blade. I used a Fiskars blade refill and it just slides around. The blade I took off had a D kind of shaped opening where it went on the screw holding it but this on is just a round hole.
    That "sliding" is actually a sort of oil put on to make the blades easier (and safer) to remove from the packaging. Somewhere, ages ago (or a few months), I found an informative tutorial on blade handling for quilters. Don't laugh.

Might it be possible that you have 2 blades and don't realize it? It's happened many times. The 2 things that are usually D shapes - the piece from the cutter that goes through the hole (just the bottom of the peg part) and the washer - have to be aligned properly.

If your original blade had a D hole, then maybe it didn't need or have the washer....which a blade with a circular hole would need to stabilize it with the peg on the rotary cutter.

Blog Entries
    The blades are interchangeable in all brands of cutters. If you are having a problem, then yes, you most likely have 2 blades in there accidentally...ask me how I know that!! LOL LOL LOL :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TN Donna
    I am not used to using a rotary cutter at all. In fact, I have just ordered my first one. Do the different brands just use the one brands blades or do all the blades fit any rotarty cutter?
    Thanks ladies. I appreciate all you replies.