Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting machine, >

Rotary cutting machine,

Rotary cutting machine,

Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 AM

I hate cutting a large amount of strips by hand (scissors or rotary cutter). I am now thinking of purchasing a fabric cutting machine, Any ideas, Need one that will cut at least 4 inch strips. What do you think of these machines and why? What do you recommend and why? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 AM

I am curious about the answer to this question as I have wondered if it was worth the money to get one of these machines. I will be watching this subject.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Me too, I am not good at cutting with a rotary cutter and hand gets to cramping after a long time of cutting with scissors.
I am making a Bargello quilt and there is a lot of strip cutting and I think that these machines would come in real handy for this.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

There have been numerous posts on this topic. Do a search on the brand name you are interested in. Usually folks with other brands will also chime in so you will get other opinions. the search hotspot is at the top of the screen.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 AM

We're all ears (eyes). Hope somebody has some info.
Vicky
Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rivka
I've been tempted as well, but they are sooo expensive. I just can't justify the price.
Walmart here has the Simplicity rotary cutting machine and it's not that expensive. I have used one. It takes practice and it's hard to have precise cut strips each time so it wouldn't be worth it to me for perfect accurate cut strips but it's worth having just for string quilting! I used it to cut strips to wrap clothes line for the fabric baskets and strips for locker hooking and crocheting fabric strips. It's fast and I cut more then one layer at a time, just adjust the blade for thicker layers.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sobaboo
I hate cutting a large amount of strips by hand (scissors or rotary cutter). I am now thinking of purchasing a fabric cutting machine, Any ideas, Need one that will cut at least 4 inch strips. What do you think of these machines and why? What do you recommend and why? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
I really think you would LOVE the Alto's QuiltCut2. It isn't mechanical so it won't break down. You can set it for whatever size you want to cut. I use it a LOT for strip cutting as well as block cutting.

I did get the Simplicity cutting machine ... more for binding as it won't do strips too wide. I found I didn't like it and would like it to have another home than mine!

ali
Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 PM

Since no one is saying anything; let me say that I love, love, love my accuquilt go. It's really helped me get organized and there are so many different designs besides just doing the strips and squares. If you ever plan on getting EQ7; they have alot of free designs to download into it and use to design quilts. The company has excellent customer service and guarantee thier product; no questions asked. I've had dies replaced before they even got the one from me; and I didn't buy them on line I went to a store but you can return them either place. Not electric so you can set it up anywhere to cut. I've seen them on sale alot lately for 199; way less than I paid.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM

I have the Simplicity Rotary Cutting machine. While I don't hate it, I don't love it either. I know I need to take more time to practice, but hate wasting the fabric just to cut strips. :lol:
I had to do alot of fine tuning just to get it to cut the fabric strips, it helped to starch the fabric. My foot pedal seems to be in 'race' mode it is very touchy. I am sure with more practice I will get better at controlling the fabric as it is fed thru the machine. My strips were definitely NOT accurate and I had to be cut new ones.... with my rotary cutter. :(
So admittedly it is partly my fault but I do think the machine itself could undergo some fine tuning and then perhaps re-marketed. This is JMHO.. .
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

I have the Alto Quilt Cut 2, the Accucut Go and the Go Baby. I use them all. I also use the June Taylor Shape Cut just as much as those three. If one doesn't cut like I want I cut on the others. I do prefer the Accuquilt Go the best.