Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutting Machine >

Rotary Cutting Machine

Rotary Cutting Machine

Old 07-23-2010, 02:38 AM

I just bought a Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine for $15.00 at Walmart. They were on clearance. Does anyone have one? Is it even worth the $15.00. I know I've seen them for much more at Joann's. I can't resist a bargain.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2903-sim...-machine.aspx#
Old 07-23-2010, 03:01 AM

I don't have one but I wonder how fast it is, would a rotary cutter be quicker maybe someone else can comment
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 AM

It does not have the best of reviews on Amazon. I did find some wonderful ones that were obviously paid reviews (I hate those!!)

I'm a gadget girl and after reading what it says on Amazon, I'd probably not even take it out of the box... but that's just me. If I could find one that would cut fabric strips wider than it does - and accurately and lets me use regular blades, I would jump for joy! I could get so much more done in less time I'm sure :)

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-881...DateDescending
Old 07-23-2010, 04:50 AM

Don't have one but for $15.00 I would have bought it too. I love BARGAINS.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 AM

Have it, hate it and won't even use it. Had trouble with the material staying straight (even bought the table for it). Now it sits in the corner, and I use the Accuquilt Go! The dies are expensive, but it is so worth the money spent. Can cut a queen size quilt top out in less than 2 hours (have heard some say they can do it in alot less time). Try to resell it on Ebay is my suggestion, (I don't know how to list items for sale is why I haven't done so with mine.)
Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lynnc
I just bought a Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine for $15.00 at Walmart. They were on clearance. Does anyone have one? Is it even worth the $15.00. I know I've seen them for much more at Joann's. I can't resist a bargain.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2903-sim...-machine.aspx#
It would work great for cutting strips that don't need precision, such as for making rag rugs, covered cord totes, etc. For $15, I'd keep it!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by pstoner
Have it, hate it and won't even use it. Had trouble with the material staying straight (even bought the table for it). Now it sits in the corner, and I use the Accuquilt Go! The dies are expensive, but it is so worth the money spent. Can cut a queen size quilt top out in less than 2 hours (have heard some say they can do it in alot less time). Try to resell it on Ebay is my suggestion, (I don't know how to list items for sale is why I haven't done so with mine.)
Ditto. Waste of money!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by pstoner
Have it, hate it and won't even use it. Had trouble with the material staying straight (even bought the table for it)... Try to resell it on Ebay is my suggestion, (I don't know how to list items for sale is why I haven't done so with mine.)
I pretty much agree. I have one and tried it several times. I never could get the fabric to feed straight and the strips always came out wonky. The blade cuts using pressure (it is not sharp at all). Sometimes the pressure was not enough to cut cleanly and I would have to adjust it from one fabric to the next. Now, it sits quietly in its box in the basement. I even feel guilty trying to sell it to someone else - that's how bad I think it is! lol

You got a great deal! Try it out for yourself. You may get it to work for you. If not, I bet you can resell it on ebay and make a little bit of profit.

On the other hand, I have the bias tape maker and use it all the time to make binding!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM

I seen that yesterday at Joaans. For 15 I would have bought it too. Might be good for small projects or scrapbooking. Like someone said you can always resell if you dont care for it.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM

I was not as lucky as you with the price. I saw it on sale 2 months ago at a Walmart 400 miles away from home. Bought it for $40.00. Then did some research on it. Last week I took it back to our Wally world and they would not take it as they don't sell it. And of course I had lost my ticket. So I took it to the Pawn Shop! I got 17.00 dollars for it. Which was better then nothing. I just didn't like the look of the blades. I guess my head was somewhere else. But the guy in PS looked it up on internet said WM was selling it for 79 dollars. But I never plugged it in....Makes me sad, as I could have gotten so much fabric with that 40 dollars...Oh well. You would think at my age I would stop and think....