Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary screw won't stay tight - help?

It must be a fairly common issue for Fiskars. I called to complain about my stinky cutting mat and asked about my rotary cutter which had the same issue... they sent me a replacement one which I have to admit I have not opened. I no longer use Fiskars rotary cutters for fabric though. I use them for cutting paper which I don't do as often...
    Give them a call and see if they'll take care of yours. It is a safety issue and they didn't even ask a single question about mine. They had me take a picture and email it to them and they replaced it quickly. I received it literally 2 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Fiskars will replace without any hassle. I had a problem with a rotary cutter and they sent me a brand new one.
    **Great to know...Mine's doing the same thing.

I bought a Fiscars cutter in the early 90's and I still have it (couldn't afford Olfa back then). No problems with it, but have since gotten the Olfa ergonomic and there's a world of difference! I'd recommend the Olfa. BTW, the liquid referred to in the previous repliesis called Loc-Tite and can be purchased at any hardware store, just be sure you get the least permanent one so you can get the nut off to change blades.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Lock-tite is the liquid tightening 'stuff'.

Love my gingher, olfa would be my second choice

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    It must be a fairly common issue for Fiskars. I called to complain about my stinky cutting mat and asked about my rotary cutter which had the same issue... they sent me a replacement one which I have to admit I have not opened. I no longer use Fiskars rotary cutters for fabric though. I use them for cutting paper which I don't do as often...
    Give them a call and see if they'll take care of yours. It is a safety issue and they didn't even ask a single question about mine. They had me take a picture and email it to them and they replaced it quickly. I received it literally 2 days later.
    Wow - even with no receipt or anything?? Definitely worth a try. I recently bought a 5-pack of Fiskars replacement blades (1/2 price at Joann's ), so I'd like to be able to use them. I noticed that several people are recommending Olfa, but I'm not sure that I could use the Fiskars blades on and Olfa (I've read conflicting answers to that on another thread).

A couple of things:
    1. Once you Loctite your nut, you will not be able to remove it to change blades.
    2. I finally got to try a Martelli cutter and it is just the greatest thing. It works well with my arthritic hands and the blades are super sharp.

QM
    It does sound as though you need a new washer. However, I have made nearly 500 quilts and am still using my original Olfa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Yes, buy a new one! Make it an Olfa cutter, you'll be glad you did.
    Fiskars = Chevy; Olfa = Cadillac

Jan in VA
    Better Yet~ Buy a Martelli, they have a screw that does not loosen as you cut. They are handed so they fit your hand. If you have a problem, they will make it good, I even had them replace a complete cutter for me because of a screw not being hardened and my using the wrong blade in it.
    Fiskars-Chevy, Olfa - Cadillac?, Martelli-Hummer!!
    OzarksGma

Quote Originally Posted by maryfs View Post
    Wow - even with no receipt or anything?? Definitely worth a try. I recently bought a 5-pack of Fiskars replacement blades (1/2 price at Joann's ), so I'd like to be able to use them. I noticed that several people are recommending Olfa, but I'm not sure that I could use the Fiskars blades on and Olfa (I've read conflicting answers to that on another thread).
    No you cannot use the Fiskars blades on the Olfa, the Olfa's have a tri cutout in the center of the blade and are not interchangeagle with the Fiskars or Martelli cutters. The Fiskars could fit the Martelli, but they are a thinner blade and do not hold an edge like the Martelli blades.
    I re-sharpen the blades and the Martelli blades hold up much better and you get more sharpenings from them.
    OzarksGma

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast