Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotating Mat

Rotating Mat

I have seen some of you post that a rotating cutting mat is one of your favorite "go to" quilting items. Why do you like it? Is there a clear advantage in using a rotating cutting mat over placing a block on a small mat, then just turn it to trim the block?

I think because the fabric may move when you turn the mat and with the rotating mat it is not taking that chance.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

For most of us that like the rotating mat it's because our only other mat is large. My large mat takes the up the whole table (40 X 70!!). I can't rotate that sucker. So yes ... the rotating mat is my "go to" device to trim blocks.

I wish I had the 18" rotating mat, mine is only 12"
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I do a lot of work block by block and keep a rotating mat right near my sewing station so I can trim parts and also for P-Psing to trim parts. I use one all the time.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I do like to use the rotating mat for trimming blocks... its saves a bit of time to just turn the mat , not turn the block. A smaller mat would be able to do the same but I have not seen a 12 x 12 regular mat . I don't work on blocks bigger than 12 X 12 so that size is just right for me.

I only use my rotating mat for when I am sewing outside my own home. I like it because it makes the fabric accessible from all 4 sides without disturbing the piece I am working on.

I do not use it at home. I am one of those who need to get up frequently whether to cut or iron. Also my cutting table is accessible from all sides so that it makes it easy to work at just one corner and have the ease of cutting I want.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Thanks for all the info. Thought about using my Joann's 60% off coupon to get the Fiskar's 14" inch one. Joann's regular price on the Olfa 17" rotary cutting mat is $84.99! Wow!

check out cake icing 'turn tables' i got one in an' op shop' and glued a small mat to it--use it a lot---

Quilt in a Day had 8" square rotary cutting mats on sale for $10.00 recently and I got one for my granddaughter and I because we're both space challenged. I don't know if she likes hers, but I used mine yesterday and I love it!!! It's great for those small trimming jobs!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Blog Entries
    i have a few different sized mats and use the smaller ones when i want to rotate my work. since i've been doing Dear Jane blocks, i do a lot of rotating. the work does not seem to move. i'd love to have a rotating mat, but it's just not a priority right now.
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast