Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Row by Row Problems >

Row by Row Problems

Row by Row Problems

Old 07-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Default Row by Row Problems

I have a great row by row quilt going but they are not all the same size, some are off by as much as an inch. With the borders on each row arriving in different colors, how can I end up making them all the same width? Should I just add a snippet of the first inside border to match, or use a contrasting fabric which seems to make it even more apparent that one row is shorter than the next. Most of the rows cannot be trimmed down, the others will have to be extended. Help, please.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

You said "they are arriving" is it a (_row Robbin) project? If so, one way is to wait until you have all of your rows, measure each one, then using the length of the longest make each one that long. Once you can lay them all out you will be able to see what to add to each to make them go together and look good. You might be able to add sashing between rows that can (wrap) around the next row to bring it together... There are many ways to fix this, it is easiest to see/figure out when you can see them all.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

The other thing that might be happening .... are your seams 1/4"??
If one row has many seams and you happen to be a thread or two wider/narrower than the 1/4", they could add up to quite a difference on the width of a quilt. Likewise, a row with fewer seams would not have as much variance.

Wondering too?? ... are these the patterns from the Row By Row Experience Shop Hop?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Are the rows themselves different sizes or different people doing them? I would wait until they are all ready to assemble and then add the same element/fabric to each row. You could even offset each row from the next with 1/2 block of the added fabric, kind of like rows of bricks.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM

We are not using the Row by Row Patterns from the current shop hop. Just making up as we go along with only apparently too few rules. However, we don't all follow directions as well as we could. Your suggestions are useful especially Tarton's idea of adding the same element to each row. Thanks to all, I'll wait until all the rows come in (due next weekend) before attaching them. It is interesting to see all the color choices and ideas from our small group of quilters. I hope to post a picture of at least mine when finished. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Wish you had posted a picture. Without a photo, I do not understand why you can't trim. Not familiar with this pattern. Sorry that the rows are not all the same length.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 AM

Okay you're saying "We" a lot, so I'm assuming there are different people making each row, which is most likely the problem. Different people have different quarter-inch seams, and some often don't even bother measuring. I agree with the others, Tartan's solution is your best choice.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM

I would trim as much as possible. Then add to the various rows - something coordinating with the row. Not always at the end of the rows. If it's just off by a little, you might be able to add a little between the blocks by making the seams smaller. Or if a larger amount is needed, add a little strip of fabric or something else that coordinates, like stripes, small triangles, ....
Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM

I would float each row with a couple of inches on each side, then once the quilt is together, trim the excess off and add a floating border to the top and bottom.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
I would float each row with a couple of inches on each side, then once the quilt is together, trim the excess off and add a floating border to the top and bottom.
This is what I have done -- and I love the look. I used "filler" blocks the same color as the sashing, alternated the sides I sewed the fillers, trimmed the filler blocks so the rows were the same size and then added the sashing so the rows really look like they are floating. Did this with a couple of charity quilts where different folks made the rows and the makers were creative about the lengths of the rows.