Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Row by Row question: pattern only? >

Row by Row question: pattern only?

Row by Row question: pattern only?

Old 06-22-2016, 12:57 AM
Power Poster

I saw last year a lot license plate fabrics sold on eBay.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:11 AM

I am planning on collecting some license plates and making a quilt with them. We are taking a car trip, but not until Aug. I'll collect the row patterns, but don't have any plans on getting them finished soon enough to win anything.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:45 AM

I planned to start collecting patterns yesterday, but ran out of time to hit any shops. I may go out today and start collecting. I don't like the pressure to get the quilt done, so winning anything is out of my plan. Maybe I can finish last years quilt. lol Last year I found a couple of patterns on a fabric manufacturer's site, they were free. Hope that happens again. Sometimes the finished quilt isn't a size I like, so the free internet patterns help. Last year, a lady finished her quilt and claimed her prize in less than a week. Impressive.
Sue
Old 06-22-2016, 05:47 AM

I had no plans of trying to win last year. However when I had it to the floppy stage, I was told them at my local quilt shop, and they encouraged me to get it done and bring it in, as they had not heard from anyone else locally that was doing it (small rural town). So I did.

I think the deadline for turning in a quilt is October 31st. They are suppose to post winning quilts on the facebook page, but I know from experience it does not always happen. Last year there were 15 shops participating in SD, and there are way less than 15 winners posted on the Facebook page. I think in more populated areas, they may get quilts turned in quickly. I know that the four stores closest to IA/MN border had winners long before I got mine done.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by hray View Post
Hi, all,
I picked up my first 2016 Row by Row pattern today. Last year I bought several kits but only made a few so I've resolved that I'll only get patterns this year.

My question is: for the contest, how closely does your row have to match the shop's demo? Is it enough to just follow their pattern or must you use their special fabrics, special embellishments, embroidery machine designs (yes, the one I picked up today had that as an option to buy)?

If anyone has an answer I'd love to know! Thanks in advance.

Hallie
You can do it however you would like. I think one of the pluses of just getting patterns is you can use your color scheme. I am thinking of using elements from patterns and doing a more medallion style quilt this time.

I bought kits last year and they were fun. This year I don't think I will unless there is something special about the kit. I went to Shipshewana yesterday and Yoder's kit is pretty (a black silhouette of barns on solids in several shades). Since the barn silhouettes were already cut it fit my this year criteria for kit buying - if there is fussy/precision cutting already done and pretty fabrics in the kit, I'm getting it.

Last edited by Pagzz; 06-22-2016 at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-22-2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
You have to stay in Hawaii? You poor thing!

Somebody has to do it .....
Old 06-22-2016, 03:17 PM

I have 4 so far. Good thing I will be collecting a bunch of them. A couple are pretty odd looking. I will pick and choose which ones I want to sew up.
Each shop has their own row.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:02 PM

Is there no row by row in Hawaii?
Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Thank you, sewingitalltogether for answering my question. I'm going to start driving around tomorrow and collecting what I can.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Question - each shop has their own row, is that right? each row from a shop will be different from the other shops?
Yes, that is correct. Each shop designs their own row within certain criteria. They have a size limitation and it follows a theme. Two years ago the theme was Seasons. Last year it was Water. This year is it Home. Rows can be horizontal or vertical.

Between certain dates (June 21-Labor Day) the participating shops offer the pattern free to anyone who comes into the shop. They can also develop a kit for the row which they can sell only to those who come into the shop. Starting somewhere around the end of October they are permitted to sell patterns and kits by mail or multiple kits to one person coming in the shop. The premise behind Row by Row is to increase people visiting quilt shops.

A completed quilt must have 8 rows but can have more. If you are the first one to complete a quilt and take it back to one of the shops where you have a row then there is a prize.