Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Row by Row vs traditional Shop Hop >

Row by Row vs traditional Shop Hop

Row by Row vs traditional Shop Hop

Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mario1360 View Post
I saw ''Crabby quilter'' too funny....great job, love it.
I liked "Wicked Quiltah"... Massachusetts, obviously!
Old 06-28-2016, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

Both organization desire you to spend money in the shops. Shop owners will look for the better organization that will bring quilter in that will part with their hard earned money. I prefer to wait for a sale!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:02 AM

I had the chance to talk to several shop owners. Basically, shop hops are a lot of work and coordination. They need one owner to do a lot of the work and be committed. Row by Row is still work to get ready but work is more evenly distributed.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:40 AM

My age showing but I like Row by Row because I have all summer to collect. After Shop Hop it takes me a couple days to recoup. This year I passed on the hop and do a short road trip every week to get RXR pattern and enjoy our beautiful area.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:53 AM

In Minnesota the Row by Row has already started and the Shop Hop will start the end of July. Many of the sections provide busses for those who don't want to drive. The one I'm going with a quilter friend has made it an overnight two day outing. Reserves rooms for us, etc. It's a nice two day getaway. It's fun to visit with other quilters while on the bus and not have to worry about driving.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:51 AM

I'm going this weekend to do the Row by Row that is being done by Tidewater Sew n Vac. all of their shops have a different feel to them and each has its own thing to offer. The one by me is the closest but I'm closer to the employees than at the others. I go to all of the events offered and always have a great time. Next event is in Oct when we do the weekend retreat. Its the closest I seam to get to a vacation so even though I live realitively close, I stay at the hotel for the weekend and really enjoy the experience. Last year was a blast
Old 06-29-2016, 02:39 AM

I was in a shop yesterday picking up license plates and a pattern for the RxR Exp. The owner told me that she was not "selected" to participate in the spring statewide shop hop because her shop is "too new." Her shop isn't a year old but it's doing well so far, and the shop hop is 9 months away. She was happy to be part of RxR Exp.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Denice_a View Post
I've participated in the Western Washington Shop Hop for over 10 years. Supposedly many of the shops are going away from it in favor of the Row by Row (which I'm not fond of).

What makes you like the row
It's all personal preference. Something cute but not too complicated is nice. Most seem to have appliqué type rows. I try to go to our local quilt shops but if I go on vacation, I try to go to those stores too.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 AM

I personally like the time to pick them up through the summer as I happen to travel. One shop owner I spoke with opted out of the shop hop due to the expense & work. The RxR was a lot less money/work & national advertising. Stated earlier, someone got a bad pattern, that is solely on the shop owner. Each shop is responsible for the pattern. My upcoming trip to M* will get me some that I wouldn't normally get.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 AM

I love the row by row but I buy the kits as they usually need several pieces of fabric and I prefer their method of applique. what really got me started was the creative ability that went into it some of those rows are amazing to take a row and do what they do I really admire that just wish I could buy more than I do but can't really finish what I have but some are so creative I just can't resist I think my favorite for this year is from Friends and company in Cody but I do like western last year my favorite was a shop in Canada although with all that I collect I only get my favorite finished wish I knew how to post pics