Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta Iron Ruined? Someone tell me it isn't.... >

Rowenta Iron Ruined? Someone tell me it isn't....

Rowenta Iron Ruined? Someone tell me it isn't....

Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 AM

Rinse ... rinse ... swish the water in the tank and swish and rinse some more! Just keep filling the tank with water and swishing it around and dumping the contents.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I am confused. My rowenta says not to use distilled water. Just tap water.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. Jeez ... what a costly mistake.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Fill the Iron with plain water. Set it over the sink or hold it over the sink. Set it on full heat and steam and let it steam until it is empty then repeat. That will be the only way to get it cleared of the starch.
This is always how I've cleaned, I set the iron on an oven rack over the kitchen sink and allow it to steam out. In this case it will probably take a few times.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:22 AM

I didn't put anything but the same tap water I've always used into my Rowenta, and one day it just sputtered and starting spotting in brown rust. I only use it as a dry iron now and spray from a bottle. It's not unusual for irons in general and Rowenta in particular to develop these problems -- unfortunately!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:17 PM

1. Stay calm. 2. Find Rowenta online and call or email. If they can't or won't help 3 Fill the iron with plain water, let the iron heat, hold it over the sink and push the steam button until it is all steamed out. 4 Repeat until the water is clear. You know that laundering a starched item in hot water gets rid of the starch. The chances are pretty good that hot water applied often enough will get starch out of an iron. froggyintexas
Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 AM

I never put water in my iron, I use water in a spray bottle.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:16 AM

I cleaned my Rowenta out one time just normal and all it did was ooze yucky brown foam out of it. We tried to take it apart to clean it and they don't come apart. I threw it out after having other problems with it before and got a black and decker from walmart and it works fine but I don't use water in it at all I use a spray bottle. Good luck with yours. I won't buy one of them again ever, and that is after having three brand new ones and they didn't last long and I am not hard on irons.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I am confused. My rowenta says not to use distilled water. Just tap water.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. Jeez ... what a costly mistake.
You couldn't use my tap water, I have a salt well. I have a reverse osmosis system (distilled water) for drinking water.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:30 AM

I'd mix water and white vinegar and run it thru.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I didn't put anything but the same tap water I've always used into my Rowenta, and one day it just sputtered and starting spotting in brown rust. I only use it as a dry iron now and spray from a bottle. It's not unusual for irons in general and Rowenta in particular to develop these problems -- unfortunately!
Years ago, before the dawn of the internet, I had a Rowenta Steam Generator that I used for my Home Dec Drapery making. It started spitting and leaking when I used it after only a year. I wrote Rowenta a letter about this problem. The reply I got is this, "Sorry you are having this problem. But if the iron isn't used every day, it will leak through the steam holes." Needless to say that was the last Rowenta I ever bought, and will never buy Rowenta again.