Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta or......??? >

Rowenta or......???

Rowenta or......???

Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 AM

I bought a new iron last week but after bringing it home and using it, I don't like it. It takes wayyyy to much time to get hot, the steam sucks, and everytime I turn it on, I have to push a botton 6 times to get to the cotton setting. It's a Hamilton Beach, which I really thought would be a good one.

I have seen the Rowenta, which I have drooled over for the past year, but DH would die if I spent $100.00 on a iron and I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one. I did find several Rowenta's on eBay for about $50.00 (that includes the shipping). They have been refurbished by the manufacturer. I've checked the feedback on several of the sellers the bidders seem to be happy with their refurbs.

Is there a Rowenta clone out there that I haven't heard of? What kind of iron do you use???? And if you do use a Rowenta, how long have you had it???
Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 AM

I had two Rowenta's and was unhappy with both of them. They did not steam well at all. Gave them away (and they were not cheap). Have a $20. Black and Decker from Walmart and love it. When it dies I will purchase another one.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 AM

I'm going to be completely honest about my experience with Rowenta . I bought an expensive Rowenta iron and it was a piece of junk .It leaked everywhere after about 3 months. I had all kinds of trouble with the manufacturer about replacing it. I take great care with all my things and the Rowenta people decided that I had dropped my iron and that they would not replace it. They would not even inspect it. After the way they treated me I wouldn't use another of their products if someone gave it to me.

I have an expensive Bosch iron that is super nice for huge pressing projects but being honest, I bought a simple $30 Sunbeam at Walmart 3 years ago and it is awesome . I love it.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I love my Rowenta, and I have never had any problem with it leaking. My Mom had one and also loved it and didn't have any problems with it. I had one of the cheap ones from Wal-Mart and for me it was a piece of junk.
Everyone has their own experiences and it is just something you have to decide for yourself.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM

i have had 2 rowentas. Guess i didnt learn very expensive and were a piece of junk not good for steam. will never get another. But i am drooling over those new ones that lift themselves off the table
Banned

i believe you got your answer.....
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I never owned a rowenta and after reading I doubt I ever will. I had a black and decker from WM for 15yrs that I had dropped several times but it always worked great. I almost cried when it quit working.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM

I bought an olisio iron (the one that goes up and down on its own) and am very pleased with it.

I spent about $100 on it but worth it with the new puppy, he is a great dane and loves to sniff the ironing board and with this iron less of a chance of him burning his nose on it.

I bought it at Joanns and it was 25% off at the time.

I originally bought a Rowenta and gifted it to my mom, I really did not like it but she loves it.

My favorite iron of all times was an inexpensive Black and Decker but my daughter and the dog knocked it off the ironing board and broke it.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM

I have a Shark Euro Pro. I like it best of the ones I've tried. I paid $30 on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I won't spend more because it tends to get dropped in my house. The only complaint I have is that the heat selector button is easily bumped and I have to watch that. Good steam though.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 AM

I have had several Rowentas, from inexpensive to really expensive. I think they are pretty much overrated.

I now use a Laura Star iron, one that my husband bought for me in Germany about ten years ago. It uses 220 volts, and gets hot VERY FAST. DH re-wired the sewing room for 220. He tells me that the 220 voltage is what makes the iron get hot VERY FAST.

This is an ironing system that is absolutely without equal. 220 is the way to go if you want FAST service !!