Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rows or Blocks

When you have a quilt to assemble that has 40 or 50 blocks; do you assemble in rows or in groups of blocks. Which do you think keeps things square the best
    :?: :?:

Banned
    For me, it depends on the size of the blocks. If they are 4" blocks, I assemble them in units and then square up the units at 8" and again at 12". If I had a 16" square ruler, I would go up to that size before I set them into rows. My 6" blocks get chunked into 12" units and squared before making rows. Narrow rows can easily become distorted and the curves get compounded so fast. Squaring up bigger units is added work, but the end result is so much better, at least for me.

Generally I do rows accross. But it does depend on the blocks. There are instances where you will want to do the rows up and down. I just play it by eye....... :D

It also depends on how you're going to quilt it. If you do a quilt as you go I would pair up maybe 4 x 4 blocks that are 12 inch square. If they are smaller you can go 6 x6 or 8x8

Ruth, I'm with Nor'easter build blocks then rows, seem to be much easier
    working with larger pieces

What's the best way to do a quilt as you go? Do you quilt before you put the backing on?

Ruth, i do it exactly like nor eastern.

I do it row by row but I do it in 2 halves, ( top1/2 bottom1/2) then sew the 2 halves together. Oh and I sew in horizontal rows. I really dont have any reason for doing it that way just always have :wink: