Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ruler

Yesterday I was in a JO-ANN shop looking for a ruler.
    I saw a June Tailor "Shape Cut Slotted Ruler" . Wasn't sure if it would be helpful.

Has anyone experience with this ruler ?

I already own June Tailor ruler in 4 different sizes and I'm very happy with them.

Blog Entries
    I use the Shape Cut a lot. It's very handy to cut strips. But sometimes I get the dreaded V cutting strips using it but when cutting squares it doesn't matter about the V.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have one because I thought it would be wonderful. So far I haven't used it! Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Have one and love it, BUT (isn't there always a but?) do all of your cutting with it. This ruler more than others will cut just shy of the width wanted.

To help relive this problem I hold the ruler right next to the slot I am cutting. (Please be very, very careful that the tip of your finger is not over the slot----ouch!) If you watch the slot when you cut you will notice that the ruler moves a little each way next to the cutter. It's hard to explain unless you use one. I think it happens if you don't hold your cutter straight up and down. I tilt my cutter a little at times.

The 'v' in the center of the fabric isn't from the ruler you use, just the way you fold the fabric. After pressing I hold my fabric by the first fold and 'shake' it. Lay it on the table and fold again lining up first fold with salvage edge. This has stopped most of my 'v's'....

This is my main tool for cutting. Absolutely love it. I've had it for many years, it is sooo easy to cut up a group of blocks. Slice one way, pick it up/turn it and line it up and slice the other. Done!! Once you start using it you'll wonder what you did with out it.

Here's a video link showing how to use the ruler. There are several videos to watch. I love, love mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdugcEccsDQ

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rrowe
    Here's a video link showing how to use the ruler. There are several videos to watch. I love, love mine.

Thanks! Great videos!

Quote Originally Posted by rrowe

Thank you very much for the video, it was very helpful , I think with my next coupon I'll buy the ruler. :-D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just tried mine out after reading this thread and watching the video. LOVE IT!!

I love mine, so fast, but I just had a duh moment, I didn't know you could make the squares. Duh!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast