Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: rulers for cutting triangles and/or diamonds

I wonder which rulers you use and find helpful for cutting triangles and/or diamonds? I want to make the wreath from "Oh My Stars" and thought the Fons and Porter ruler might be ok? Have you used that ruler or found another to be great?

Unless it's a really odd measurement I normally just use one of my regular rulers with the appropriate degree marking. I've done lonestars, tumbling blocks, etc. all using my good old 6x24" ruler.

Blog Entries
    I just used my triangular ruler for the first time to make a thread catcher. I totally forgot that I had it! If I was to make a lot of them, I'd probably not use the ruler as the waste is greater when using it as opposed to cutting a strip, then making the angular cut with my good old trusty 6" ruler.

Blog Entries

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love the June Tailor shape cut rulers.

Some great rulers here

Kaye Wood's Starmaker rulers. 5, 6, and 8. They will make all the angles that blocks are made of. OBW, Stack & Whack, all the stars, just everything.

Strips, squares, triangles, diamonds ... I can do them all quickly using my Alto's QuiltCut2. If I only have a few then I use my regular rectangular or square rulers that have the correct angles marked on them. Very rarely do I need 'special rulers.' Though I do love the Fons & Porter red and blue trim guides [though that isn't what they are called] for trimming corners of triangles.

However, I do have a local plastic company that will cut templates of specific sizes, designs, and thicknesses for me. This is especially good for some curved designs. They aren't marked - no numbering or lettering - but make my life easier and their templates cost a whole lot less than what I could buy at a LQS or Joanns.

ali

Thank you all for your choices. I've never cut angles, just done straight cuts so this is a challenge for me. This wreath is motivating me to try.