Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rulers for Scallops and Prairie Point/Rick Rack >

Rulers for Scallops and Prairie Point/Rick Rack

Rulers for Scallops and Prairie Point/Rick Rack

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have the 1" prairie point one and used it to make Jumbo rick rack. It works great.
Just wondering if you can supply instructions for making Jumbo rick rack or if there are instructions online somewhere? I have never heard of doing this. I do make prairie points frequently. They are one of my favorites.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I have only made it using the ruler. Here is a video of how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyd0SG2GBWo The demo woman makes it look harder and more drawn out then it really is.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 AM

I have a running zig zag templates that I made using small plates. It is on some nylon type of clear material that I got at a hobby shop, but I have friends that use Dollar Store "cutting mats". You can make the same pattern several times and tape them together (I used clear shipping tape) to get the lenth you want. The ones I made curve "out" and then curve in (half circle above and half circle below); First I drew a straight line the lenth of my "template material" then I marked the half way point on both sides of the dish I used (use top half, match the mark on the dish, move it over and use the bottom half). It was very easy to do. I find I use the large one more (about 4 inches across each upper and the same on each lower swing of the pattern). Move the template over about 4", match up the curves and mark the next row. This gives me a simple but very pretty pattern to use for a lot of my quilts. The overall effect is of a gentle wavy line of quilting and it looks good on a wide variety of quilts. It is easy to do on any sewing machine. Of course really large quilts need a larger machine throat; My Janome has a 9" throat and I've quilted a King size quilt on it. Had a lot of compliments on this pattern. Sorry, but I'm not able to post photos; don't know why. I'm electronically challenged.

Last edited by Sierra; 03-07-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM

BelloBoo, thanks for the link! I have a project that this would be perfect for. I think I can accomplish it without purchasing the ruler.
Sierra, Very, Very, clever! I wish my mind worked like that. I will definitely be using the method and can see how it could be used on both the DSM and the long arm.