Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Running in Circles! >

Running in Circles!

Running in Circles!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:37 PM

If you have some experience at FMQ then learning to use a ruler foot and rulers is not much of a learning curve. Using a circle ruler and a ruler foot you can do circles without having to rotate your quilt. I've just finished doing a small wall hanging with quilted circles that were done using a westalee ruler foot and one of their circle rulers.

If you are using one of those circle tools like the one that Nancy Zieman sells, then those are designed to be used with the feed dogs up and a regular presser foot, though a walking foot might work as well. Anyway, the feed dogs move the quilt and the circular tool has a pin attachment that makes sure your fabric is rotating around a fixed point. It seems to me that unless you're doing a tiny quilt then as the quilt rotates it could very easily get bound up against the tower to the right of the machine and would begin to twist. That would cause puckering no matter how well you've basted your quilt. You could try sewing very slowly just a stitch or two at a time and carefully checking each time you've had to move the quilt to make sure that there are no puckers forming under the quilt as it rotates.

Rob
Old 02-08-2016, 06:33 AM

I have quilted a large spiraling circle using my walking foot without a problem. I drew the innermost circle with a jag leading me into the next circle. After that I was able to use the side of the walking foot as a guide.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 AM

Are you using something like this? I remember seeing a generic version a while back.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SACIRC...chments+circle
Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 AM

The circular attachment are not meant for quilting thru layers....they work best with heavily starched fabric or stabilized single layer. You can use it for doing cirules on two fabric layers. If you mark your quilt in circles, you need to sew slowly following your markings, smoothing your fabric as you go. I found using a hoop to hold the quilting area down helps alot.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

I have a circular attachment and did some blocks with top, batting and bottom. That worked well.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM

Doesn't Nancy Zieman sell as circle tool that you fasten down on top and it helps the quilt turn?
Old 02-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Thanks to all for responding with so many helpful pointers. The Brother Circular Attachment is exactly what I am using. I had pin basted previously. With ideas picked up here, I spray basted a block well and then used the powered digital dual feed foot that came with my Brother DreamWeaver XE to try quilting the circles again. (I had tried a regular walking foot as suggested, but the top feed wasn't powerful enough.) I turned the top feed setting on the MuVit up to "3" and it sewed those circles perfectly without a single pucker and without any puffiness. That walking foot on steroids is amazing! I do, however, need to practice more to achieve a perfectly formed circle using more pointers from my wonderful fellow quilters here.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM

how about this
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ue-t90945.html

this is one I made with circle cutter
http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...9-dsc_2618.jpg