Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?s re:  backing for large lap quilt >

?s re: backing for large lap quilt

?s re: backing for large lap quilt

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM

Default ?s re: backing for large lap quilt

Have you ever had fabric that was almost too pretty to cut? Well, I'm very tempted to buy a piece that's on sale today. I'm thinking of using it for a future backing; it's a multicolored print with 8" figures on a white background. (The figures are too close to each other to fancy cut cleanly.) Although I personally like a seamless backing, I'm wondering about seams on this one. If I go for it, would it be better to have one center seam or two side seams? I'm thinking two would be harder, but perhaps better. Equal or not equal widths? Should the seams run lengthwise? What quantity of fabric would be generously sufficient at 44-45" wide?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM

There are a lot of pieced backings out there that are pretty. I like to use a contrasting print with my main backing fabric. Most of the time I put it a little off center for interest.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
There are a lot of pieced backings out there that are pretty. I like to use a contrasting print with my main backing fabric. Most of the time I put it a little off center for interest.
I realize now that I would need to run the fabric width wise, otherwise the images will be laying on their sides, instead of standing upright. Off center is a great idea. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:26 AM

That is what I do too! I like it off center and I like to piece my backings as it gives me another opportunity to add more flair to the quilt. Often I will make extra of the blocks that I use on the front and will put them in a line down the back.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Yes - I have the backing for a quilt for my sister that is a wonderful large repeating pattern. I haven't quite figured out how to piece it.

One piece of wisdom that I've seen is to not put the seam directly in the center lengthwise or widthwise as that is where the fold would most likely happen and that can stress the seam.

Cheers, K
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Banned

I would check the repeat and see if it is possible to piece it so the patterns would match and then it would look like a single back. However, this may require too much fabric. I might use the fabric in the center and add two coordinating solid type fabrics to the sides or even the top and bottom framing the printed fabric.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I would check the repeat and see if it is possible to piece it so the patterns would match and then it would look like a single back. However, this may require too much fabric. I might use the fabric in the center and add two coordinating solid type fabrics to the sides or even the top and bottom framing the printed fabric.
Good idea!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanks for your helpful suggestions!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM

How about this? Cut the fabric into 4 pieces. Add a center strip both ways so they form a cross. This strip would need to be wide enough to cover the width of the quilt. Then take the fabric and place them so each way you turn it there is one quarter facing up; sort of like a pinwheel.
Attached Thumbnails pinwheel.jpg  

Last edited by Arleners; 01-06-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

You could also use one width then put borders all around.