Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sad News >

Sad News

Sad News

Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 PM

That's sorry to hear that. Is there a possibility someone takes over?

Have fun quilting!
Anymart
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Same thing happened here. We had 5 stores that sold fabric when Walmart came to town. Soon we had only Walmart, but at least they did have a decent fabric department. Then their fabric department started to get smaller and smaller, until they completely closed it. Now we have none. I must drive about 45 miles one-way to purchase fabric and most notions.

Originally Posted by jad1044
Many closed around here when Walmarts came in and basically run them out of business; then when Walmarts started to refuse selling fabric any longer, I harped on them constantly and I mean constantly! They drove our businesses out of business - and they will never come back, and now Walmart was turning chicken and their backs on us quilters by not selling any longer either? Then the payback is to begin telling people to shop Dollar General, or any place but Walmarts! And I no longer shop Walmarts unless they have a super center, so I can buy groceries - or UNLESS they have fabric. Many followed in my footsteps, but I won't take all the credit by any means; it just was not right - now all our small towns are without the local fabric stores they used to have. We have to drive miles to buy fabric or do it online, and many older ladies do not use computers - thus they set without fabric until someone either picks up fabric for them, or they get to go to a larger city where they can get a chance to shop themselves. Most do not even drive anymore, but their hands can still quilt - bless their hearts - but it makes it rough on the older set and inconvenient for those who do still drive.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 AM

I know what you mean. Our LQS closed and went to an online business. Now he charges me $10.95 Priority mail even though we are 5 minutes apart. It is ridiculous. He won't even let me pick up the package. I can order from other places for less.
Now THAT IS ridiculous !! if you're a longtime customer, sure seems like you could pick up your purchases ! :roll:
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM

That is sad.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:13 PM

I am sorry to hear that. It is very sad, with the economy & the unemployment rate. Hopefully, the bad news is over, & nothing but good news from now on.

debra
Old 10-27-2011, 05:17 PM

It is hard when one of your favorite shops close. We had a couple that closed recently. The one is opening a new shop in northern Indianna after the first of the Year. She is a great lady to buy from and is really good helping you to pick materials if needed.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. I also just found out my LQS will be closing mid December. She will still have classes and sell kits online. I am so bummed since that has been my favorite hang out for the last 2 years.