Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Safety first pretty please.

Exclamation Safety first pretty please.

One of my Patchwork group ladies was rushed to hospital last week, why? She was changing the needle on her machine WITHOUT TURNING IF OFF FIRST and in her hurry the needle went straight through her finger and jammed in the presser foot! They had to call the paramedics who managed to release her from the machine but she had to go to the hospital to have the needle removed, have a tetanus shot and a course of anti-biotics. She said the pain was horrendous but once the needle was removed she felt a bit better and both her and her machine are well on the road to recovery, although she will most likely lose the nail on her finger.

She realises what she did wrong and had learnt a hard lesson, so please take note, have a proper craft light in the right position so when changing a needle or cleaning your bobbin area you turn your machine OFF!

I could feel pain - just reading about this experience..I wish your friend a speedy recovery..Ouch

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Here I am Lord I am here to do your will.

wow, that is a good lesson for all of us. Just the other day & had to clean & oil my machine & was tempted not to bother turning it off first, then I realized how silly that really was. Hope your friend is doing ok.
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

OUCH!!! Been there...had to go to the hospital, too...and it only takes a split second. Hope she is OK...I didn't loose my nail, but it grows funny.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I never thought of turning the machine off when changing a needle and I've been quilting a lot of years. Thanks for the heads up. I've been lucky!
    Current piecing: Zig Zag quilt & LOTL (HSTs done, assembling units)
    Hand piecing project: Apple core (TOP IS DONE!!!! Yay!)

Guilty as charged. I'll be sure to do it the safe way from now on. Hope your friend recovers soon.
    Annie

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great reminder, it is so easy to forget about safety when sewing!
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.