Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety Tip

This is one of those "why didn't I think of that" things. I have a problem remembering to turn off my iron when I leave my sewing room for the evening. I paid some money for it and I'm terrified of fire, but still from time to time I find I have left it on. The light on the iron is small and very unnoticable. While reading on-line today something made me think of plugging the iron into the same socket with the lamp I use next to the ironing table. I used an extension cord for now, but I plan to get a surge protector for these plugs. Now when I leave the room, I have only one disconnect for both things and if the light is on, my iron is on, too. It won't happen again!

Brilliant!

I have the same fear and I was always told to never plug your iron in to the same outlet as your sewing machine because they take so much energy, even if they are on a surge protector. My dealer even told me that when I bought my machine so I plug my light and iron in one socket on the one wall and my machine in another socket on the other wall and I unplug both surge protectors as I leave the room and everything is good

Excellent idea, no more going to bed wondering if you turned it off, if light are out it's all good. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    That will definitely make you feel safer at night. When we renovated our house and I was able to get a dedicated sewing room, I had a 20 amp outlet put in with a light switch for the iron. When I leave the sewing room, if all the light switches are off, then I know for sure that the iron is off. Sometimes I have to put the iron somewhere else in the sewing room and I always use a power strip for that (it doesn't have to be a surge protector, just a power strip will work).

This idea will be wonderful to lots of people. Thanks for posting it! :thumbup:

Excellent idea!

That's what I loved about my first apartment. It was a 1 bedroom with a huge bathroom. The outlet in the bathroom was controlled by the switch. I did all my ironing in there because it was so big and I never had to worry about leaving the iron on, because I was very OCD about turning out the light :-D.

Thank you for the tip.

Blog Entries
    Good for u!!

I plug mine into a serge protector strip along with my lamp. Then use the on/off switch for both. It's easier to remember to turn it off when the light is on.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast