Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A sampler quilt >

A sampler quilt

A sampler quilt

Old 04-10-2009, 05:44 AM

My mother and I have decided to each do a sampler quilt using the same blocks but our own fabrics (duh)
My idea was to go to quitlers cache and pick out 16 pp blocks that we like, make sure they're all 9" or 12" or whatever, and then just go with it, but I was wondering if there are any sites out there that have a project like this already laid out? My mother has never made a quilt before, although she's been sewing forever, it's not exactly hard to figure out. I've shown her how the paper piecing works, and she'll be doing a lot of the sewing at my house so we can spend time together.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 AM

Jinny Beyer has a wonderful site with all kinds of patterns you can download, they all have 2 or 3 sizes of blocks you might check there.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM

I recommend books by El Burns. She has several sampler quilt books.
Pioneer Sampler, Stars Across America, Victory quilts to name a few.
Sampler quilts require perfect instructions down to which way to press seams and she is the best for this.
Costs to buy books but hers are worth every penny.
Joanns sells some and you can use a coupon.
Your mother will be hooked on quilting if you use one of her books.
I have made blocks from many different web sites but the instructions are all different for each and putting them togather without the whole quilt directions will be a bear, seams mainly.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:26 PM

:) That is so wonderful that you and your mother spending time together quilting. I tried to get my mother to get involved in quilting, (especially since her mascetomy) so we could be together and spend mother and daughter time together and thought maybe quilting would become a hobby for her and keep her mind off other possibilites that cancer throws at you. Although, she is doing fine and of course (us girls) her 2 daughters are really (babying) her up, she says she just does not have the patience to quilt. SO! Guess what I came up with then? A PUZZLE that has a bunch of old ladies around the quilting table just having a good time. So cute!!! :wink: So, I told mom, "If I can't get you over here to quilt, then you can come over and we"ll put this puzzle together........TOGETHER!!!" She comes over one day, I was washing dishes at the sink and I look around in the livingroom at her and she's at the table I set up for us and I started laughing silently. She was over there trying this piece and that piece and could not find a piece to fit, so she just gets up and parks herself on the couch and that is all she wrote. :roll: .........Oh well, I have finished the puzzle and now I am framming it. There's only one problem, my dog chewed up or ate 2 pieces. I took 3 pieces away from her, of course there are chew marks on it, but more memory to the puzzle. I will cherish it. It is so cute. I just wish mom helped so there would be more memory of her. We took her today to get her Easter dress and pocketbook. That is more of her cup of tea. She was sooooo happy and like a kid running around looking at those clothes and pocketbooks. I was thrilled. I love her so! :thumbup: ..........Anyway, good luck with the sampler quilts, I think that is so cool. Ya'll have funnnnnnnnnn :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Here are a couple of other places to look, Melanie - better grab a cuppa :wink:

http://www.bomquilts.com/
http://www.azpatch.com/bom/archives.htm

Don't say I didn't warn you :twisted: :lol:
Old 04-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Margaret Rolfe is an Australian quilter who has published some wonderful books for paper pieced quilts. Just search paper pieced quilts by Margaret Rolfe.
I love the idea of quilting & bonding with Mom. Have fun!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Sorry to have misinformed you;It seems that the Margaret Rolfe book that I have is no longer in print. It is called "Quilter's Ark" and has some wonderful paper pieced animals, which come together to make a spectacular quilt.

How about a quilt pattern of Carol Doak? She, too, is known for paper piecing and I did see some of her books available Online