Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Sandwich" a quilt >

"Sandwich" a quilt

"Sandwich" a quilt

Old 04-19-2017, 05:16 PM

Default "Sandwich" a quilt

Any pointers on preparing quilt for hand quikting, I layer it out on the bed to pin, it just kills my back to lean over. It was too big for kitchen table.

Last edited by Sherlene; 04-19-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 PM

Hello & welcome from Texas. Hope you enjoy this quilting board as much as I do.

You might try this method using boards. I've never tired it but I think several on this board use this or a similar method.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...mq-t91013.html

Last edited by osewme; 04-19-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM

If there is no surface in your house you can use, you might see if your library or church community center has a room with a big table you could use one day when they are not using it.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Banned

I use painters tape and tape the backing and batting to the wall. Then pin the top to the rest of the sandwich.

Cari
Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

Wellcome from Ontario, Canada. You might like to try Sharon Schamber's method of using boards to help when basting the sandwich.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:42 PM

I spray baste my quilts but I do it in sections - and before I did the spray basting I still did it in sections because it hurt my knees to to it on the floor and I didn't have a large surface to use. Now I have a cutting table and it is not big enough for a full quilt either, so I start in the center and work my way out.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 AM

I use my cutting table regardless of quilt size. I lay out the backing and use the big binder clips to hold that in place. Repeat with batting, clamping that into place with the binder clips and follow the same process for the top. Pin or thread baste that section. If the quilt is larger than the table top (which it usually is), I unclip everything and shift the whole shebang to where a bit of the pinned section will still be on the table top. Clip that into place and then start working on the remaining sections with the same process.

It can certainly get tedious with all the moving around the table and such but I'm not bending over or crawling around on the floor.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:09 AM

This probably isn't as good as some of the other ideas here, but when I have pinned a quilt on my floor, I put the pins in but didn't close them while it was on the floor, then I sat in a chair with the quilt in my lap to close the pins. Reduces floor time!

You might also consider using white glue to baste instead of pinning. I think you could apply the glue while standing, except maybe near the edges where more precise aim would be needed. I haven't done glue basting a lot, but maybe someone who has can comment further.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 AM

This is how I do it since my back decided it wouldn't crawl around the floor anymore! Works great no matter what size quilt I do.

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I use my cutting table regardless of quilt size. I lay out the backing and use the big binder clips to hold that in place. Repeat with batting, clamping that into place with the binder clips and follow the same process for the top. Pin or thread baste that section. If the quilt is larger than the table top (which it usually is), I unclip everything and shift the whole shebang to where a bit of the pinned section will still be on the table top. Clip that into place and then start working on the remaining sections with the same process.

It can certainly get tedious with all the moving around the table and such but I'm not bending over or crawling around on the floor.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post

I'm doing it this way for the first time right now. I'm really excited about no more crawling on the floor!