Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sandwiching crazy quilts

  1. #1
    Jojesek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    18
    I have made a bunch of squares and sewn them together but how do I sandwich with batting and backing. If I'm not mistaken, quilting means I should be stitching a pattern through all three layers. How do I do this with all different coloured fabrics and embellishments that I obviously can't stitch through.
    p.s. I don't have a quilting sewing machine

  2. #2
    Senior Member Vickymomof6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    823
    I have made a crazy quilt and I tacked it. I used my sewing machine but I think you could do it by hand. You just do a X stitch here and there (about every 4 inches or so)

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Super Member mommafank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Grew up in WV but retired in Between, GA
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Crazy quilts are usually tied!

  4. #4
    Super Member MrsM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hoosick Falls, NY
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafank
    Crazy quilts are usually tied!
    Thanks. I was wondering also how to put one together, before or after embelishing.

  5. #5
    Super Member mommafank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Grew up in WV but retired in Between, GA
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafank
    Crazy quilts are usually tied!
    Thanks. I was wondering also how to put one together, before or after embelishing.
    I finished my embellishment on my squares before I tied the whole thing. I put a border on it and then before I put on the binding, I did some embellishment of that. Want to see a picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. #6
    Junior Member Lobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    227
    That's lovely, sophisticated-looking, and particularly impressive for a first quilt.

  7. #7
    Super Member mommafank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Grew up in WV but retired in Between, GA
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster
    That's lovely, sophisticated-looking, and particularly impressive for a first quilt.
    How did you know it was my first quilt?

  8. #8
    Super Member MrsM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hoosick Falls, NY
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafank
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafank
    Crazy quilts are usually tied!
    Thanks. I was wondering also how to put one together, before or after embelishing.
    I finished my embellishment on my squares before I tied the whole thing. I put a border on it and then before I put on the binding, I did some embellishment of that. Want to see a picture?
    That is really nice!! Thanks for the photo. I will post a picture when mine is complete. May be a while though.

  9. #9
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,194
    How pretty!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    saf
    saf is offline
    Super Member saf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same - now I know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.