Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sapphire 870 >

sapphire 870

sapphire 870

Old 01-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Haven't bought any accessories but really would like the walking foot. Since the 870 is sold as a quilters machine I was surprised that it came with the fancy buttonhole foot rather than a walking foot. I'm still working on my free motion quilting too.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 AM

I agree with you, I will probably never use the buttonhole foot. I make quilts, not buttonholes. I wonder if they have a link for feedback on their website?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 AM

I've had my 1+ for about 10 years. I've always loved its pretty straight stitch. I just got a walking foot off eBay for around $40.00. I was fooling around with it last night and had a little problem, the stitches got smaller. I'll bet anything I need to work with the pressure. We can learn so much just reading these posts cant' we. Thanks girls.

Linda
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM

I bought the walking foot from the dealer at the same time I bought the machine, but it almost seems like it just isn't a good fit. The needle threader won't work when the walking foot is on. Actually, it doesn't work when I use the piecing foot either. Anybody have that problem?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 PM

I finally figured out the needle threader, it's a little awkward but catching the thread just in the right spot, pulls the loop through for me to catch. (if you check out their site, there's a little video on it. When I bought my machine she told me my other Husqvarna walking feet (I have 2 for my Lily 540) would probably not work. (haven't tried them yet). I have spent a few hours today working my way through the samples in their handbook (denim, leather...buttonholes...) even if I don't plan to use them I want to figure out what everything does & how to override the auto settings before I go for my first lesson.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:30 AM

The dealer showed me and I watch the video that came with the machine, but it says in the book it is only designed for 70-120 needles. I must have something different. I think right now I have the green band quilting needle on. This is all new stuff to me, all I ever bought for my old singer were the singer needles and of course it didn't have a needle threader.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by johnette
I haven't mastered free motion quilting yet, so with out the walking foot I don't know how I'd quilt. I thought it was a little pricey, around $50.00. But I use it a lot. Did you buy any accessories at all yet?
If you want to free motion quilt, get the spring loaded darning foot Johnette. It works like a charm! It has an open toe feature on it so you can see what it is ahead of you!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM

I'll see if I can find one, I need all the help I can get. Thanks for the tip.